Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

90 Day Currency Rule

EASA regs are clear that in such a case, only pilot B may log PIC time and (s)he may log all of it. Pilot A may not log any time at all. The question of who is manipulating the controls does not matter. (Section (b) of AMC to FCL.050.)

Interesting, totally the opposite of the US. We don’t log who is “acting as PIC”, just who is permitted to log “PIC”. Logging and acting as PIC are separated from one another, although a pilot who is acting as PIC may log PIC if they are a required crew member even though they are not the sole manipulator of the controls, for example the aircraft type requires two pilots or the regulation under which the flight is conducted requires two pilots such as for simulated instrument flight. The latter permits two pilots to both log PIC on the same flight.

Last Edited by NCYankee at 16 Feb 21:16
KUZA, United States

I welcome this new CAA ruling. I am one of a group of 6 owning a Jodel DR1050 wood and fabric taildragger. I have been carried as a passenger by out-of-90-days-currency pilots.. It’s not about both trying to claim hours. We’re all on the insurance. No local instructor is current on the type. The most taildragger-current, nearest, instructor doesn’t fit in the RH seat.
I have once been asked to take over, after several attempts to land. I only recorded the one landing, and the time I was P1.
When I enquired at our local flying school last month, they had only one taildragger qualified instructor, who had not flown a taildragger for several years.
Renters are required by FBOs to have check-outs anyway – it won’t change anything for them.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

BTW: @Steve6443, Münster has no LBA-branch. Are you sure you have spoken to LBA inspectors and not for members of the Landesluftfahrtbehörde (german regional aviation authority) in Münster?

MH: you’re correct, it was inspectors from the Bezirksregierung and they were doing ramp checks…..My apologies. However bearing in mind it is they who could pick up on a lack of currency due to inspections, the statement they made to my associates and I still remains valid.

EDL*, Germany

The OP link refers to UK CAA licences only – is there a link to the equivalent EASA requirement?

Thanks, NCY, for the OCC opinions. Are there any (probably earlier) ones that explore the interpretation of “passenger” in a bit more detail?

This for example:

(2) For the purpose of meeting the requirements of paragraph (a)(1) of this section, a person may act as a pilot in command of an aircraft under day VFR or day IFR, provided no persons or property are carried on board the aircraft, other than those necessary for the conduct of the flight.

doesn’t sit well with Kortokrax, in that the instructor is not “necessary for the conduct of the flight”, since the pilot could fly solo. If the instructor is “necessary for the conduct of the flight”, why not a person to hold the pilot’s map?

I have EASA PPL SEP(land). I fly a PA32 most of the time. In the last 90 days I have not done 3 landings in the plane however I have done 4 take off and landings with an instructor in a seaplane. Does this count and could I take passengers in my PA32? I would add this is more academic as I intend to take an instructor for currency training when I take the PA32 up again. Thanks

EGKB

Easa rules say it has to be the same type or class, which means type if type-rated and class if class-rated.

Seaplanes have a different class rating, so they don’t count for the PA32.

And it is for flying with passengers, so going alone is ok.

Last Edited by Cobalt at 19 Apr 12:53
Biggin Hill

I have been looking in Part-NCO and could not find more information about the 90 day currency rule, where does it originate in current EASA legislation?

ESME, ESMS
I have been looking in Part-NCO and could not find more information about the 90 day currency rule, where does it originate in current EASA legislation

The 90 days rule is not Part.NCO operations, but execution of pilots privileges Part.FCL.060 (https://www.easa.europa.eu/sites/default/files/dfu/Part-FCL.pdf).

Last Edited by at 07 Jan 13:47

Thanks!

I was looking here as well and searched for the words “90 days” without any result.

ESME, ESMS
Sign in to add your message