Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

90 days rule for different class/variants

Hi,

I just saw a post on pilot flying currency, I am wondering what are the rules on taking pax for different class/variants under Part-FCL?

Do you have to do 3 take-offs/landing in very class? in every variant?
Are there any credits for specific classes/variants?

Say, MEP vs SEP, SEP(Land) v SEP(Sea), SEP vs TMG? or or Type Rated aircrafts?

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

My memory says every class or type, no cross-credit. But see (4) and (5) below which I didn’t know about. Now I wonder whether this “Part-21 operational suitability data” applies to us, and especially if C10T and SEP are considered similar… Anybody knows where I can find this?

FCL.060 Recent experience

(b) Aeroplanes, helicopters, powered-lift, airships and sailplanes. A pilot shall not operate an aircraft in commercial air transport or carrying passengers:

(1) as PIC or co-pilot unless he/she has carried out, in the preceding 90 days, at least 3 take-offs, approaches and landings in an aircraft of the same type or class or an FFS representing that type or class. The 3 take-offs and landings shall be performed in either multi-pilot or single-pilot operations, depending on the privileges held by the pilot; and

(2) as PIC at night unless he/she:

(i) has carried out in the preceding 90 days at least 1 take-off, approach and landing at night as a pilot flying in an aircraft of the same type or class or an FFS representing that type or class; or

(ii) holds an IR;

(3) as cruise relief co-pilot unless (…)

(4) When a pilot has the privilege to operate more than one type of aeroplane with similar handling and operation characteristics, the 3 take-offs, approaches and landings required in (1) may be performed as defined in the operational suitability data established in accordance with Part-21.

(5) When a pilot has the privilege to operate more than one type of non-complex helicopter with similar handling and operation characteristics, as defined in the operational suitability data established in accordance with Part-21, the 3 take-offs, approaches and landings required in (1) may be performed in just one of the types, provided that the pilot has completed at least 2 hours of flight in each of the types of helicopter, during the preceding 6 months.

Last Edited by lionel at 19 Mar 17:37
ELLX

Thanks for the ref, I guess the only exception is day/night currency if you have an IR, the rest on class/type seems strict.

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

" has carried out, in the preceding 90 days, at least 3 take-offs, approaches and landings in an aircraft of the same type or class"

I read that as meaning “in an aircraft of the same class” is acceptable.
(It does not say “same type and class”.)

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

I think you are correct, EASA generally uses the word “Type” in the context of Type Ratings and Type Rating Instructors, the different species of airplane within the Class Ratings are usually called “Models” oder “Variants”.

“Variants” are those that require difference training. Note that difference trainings expire after two years of not using them, except for those within SEP and TMG class ratings. So the MEP difference training for say a PA44 would have to be re-done after two years of exclusively flying a DA42.

But for passenger carrying currency, the three takeoffs and landings could be in anything fitting the Class Rating. For example, completing these in a C152 would make you legal to take passengers with you in an AN2.

FCL.710 Class and type ratings — variants
(a) In order to extend his/her privileges to another variant of aircraft within one class or type rating,
the pilot shall undertake differences or familiarisation training. In the case of variants within a type
rating, the differences or familiarisation training shall include the relevant elements defined in the
operational suitability data established in accordance with Part-21.
(b) If the variant has not been flown within a period of 2 years following the differences training,
further differences training or a proficiency check in that variant shall be required to maintain the
privileges, except for types or variants within the single-engine piston and TMG class ratings.
(c) The differences training shall be entered in the pilot’s logbook or equivalent record and signed by
the instructor as appropriate.

EDXN, ETMN, Germany

Maoraigh wrote:

I read that as meaning “in an aircraft of the same class” is acceptable.

Yes. In my understanding, it means “same class for airplanes that are in a class (for which you need a class rating) and same type for airplanes that require a type rating”.

ELLX
6 Posts
Sign in to add your message