Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

A chance for private pilots to make some money (Thomas Cook goes bust)?

Thomas Cook collapses with 150k stranded

Only partly tongue in cheek

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Must be the largest bancruptcy in the industry…. press reports 150k people stranded, 600k who hold worthless tickets and 21k employees on the street. The question arises if such companies which become almost too big to fail should be allowed still. For something this big to go bancrupt from one day to the next is quite a blow to the credibility of the whole industry.

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 23 Sep 07:25
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

600k stranded all over the world. Thomas Cook owns lots of travel agencies in many countries. So, lots to do for private pilots. Let’s say a C-172 can take two persons with luggage. This means 300k flights from Greece, Spain, etc. I’m sure some has already started to fly passengers. I mean, why not. Insurance pays, and people need to get home.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

LeSving wrote:

I mean, why not. Insurance pays, and people need to get home.

Zimbabwean AOC does the trick. Must dig mine out the bottom drawer.

TC has been bust since 2010 and the debt level is irrecoverable. Vultures circling and some are already sitting to mop up. One minor point. The TC carbon footprint dropped a few notches. Good for the planet.

Just takes time….

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

This is gonna make it even harder to get an airline pilot job, with a few k (?) qualified and current pilots spilling onto the job market.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

This is gonna make it even harder to get an airline pilot job

Only if the demand simultaneously goes away. Other airlines will expand and mop them up, and there are probably older pilots for Thomas Cook (is it an actual airline or do they contract other airlines to do the flying for them?) may choose this to be a good time to retire.

The market doesn’t think the demand’s going away, while I hesitate to attribute share price moves on concrete events, EasyJet’s share price jumped 5% on the news (RyanAir not so much, but RyanAir has its own issues).

Last Edited by alioth at 23 Sep 09:11
Andreas IOM

“ceased trading with immediate effect”

The last thing stranded passengers give an f about is whether Thomas Cook is trading or not.

ESME, ESMS

alioth wrote:

is it an actual airline or do they contract other airlines to do the flying for them?

They have their own fleet and pilots, some I know were very junior

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

BeechBaby wrote:

TC has been bust since 2010 and the debt level is irrecoverable. Vultures circling and some are already sitting to mop up.

Yeah but TC will have no real assets. Its aircraft will be leased. All it has is the brand name and some low end hotels it bought in various holiday destinations.

EGTK Oxford
56 Posts
Sign in to add your message