Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

A completely bizzare Eurocontrol routing

Poitiers LFBI to Shoreham EGKA

For some reason the A34 from DVL upwards is blocked. It used to work but not anymore.

Also DCTs (the old trick) don't validate unless < 10nm long...

So:

GINON/N0170F100 J55 TUNAX/N0178F140 J55 LGL DCT DVL DCT DVL347009 DCT DVL347018 DCT DVL347027 DCT DVL347036 DCT SITET DCT

It validates F100-F160.

ATC are always happy with that routing.

But having to do stunts like DVL347009 is just silly.

The "approved" route is

F120
GINON/N0170F100 J55 TUNAX/N0174F120 J55 LGL H20 DPE R50 ABB N20 KUNAV Y8 WAFFU

which is 30% over GC and takes you way over to ABB.

I wonder why the French have done the MAX DCT of 10nm?

On a separate topic, I can't get anything whatsoever to validate Biggin EGKB to Weston EIWT. The only way out of Biggin seems to be a Z flight plan, DCT OCK DCT CPT and changing to IFR after CPT.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

New AIRAC cycle, new problems?

LFBI to EGKA, I get:

POI J55 GINON J55 LUTIL J55 TUNAX J55 RONAX J55 LGL R111 CAN DCT NEVIL M189 OSPOL DCT SRH

validates from F080 to F100

or:

POI DCT LEMKA DCT NUVNU DCT OTLOV DCT BULOX DCT CAN DCT NEVIL M189 OSPOL DCT SRH

which validates from F080 to F190

for EGKB to EIWT, I get, after a brute force search for connection points from Biggin and some 400 iterations:

BPK DCT OX DCT KUPET DCT DOBEM DCT AMMAN DCT STU DCT BAKUR DCT NEPOD DCT WST

which validates from F010 to F140 (no kidding! don't try this at home)

I really wish Eurocontrol would publish SID and STAR connection points, because way too often the SIDs and STARs published on paper (and PDF) don't work.

LSZK, Switzerland

The route

BPK DCT OX DCT KUPET DCT DOBEM DCT AMMAN DCT STU DCT BAKUR DCT NEPOD DCT WST

validates but will be rejected by UK ATC (London Control) on the actual flight because parts of it are in Class G.

It's the "UK problem"

For example the MEA at BCN is FL150 (base of CAS is FL145) - OK for me (have oxygen etc) but if one actually wanted to fly lower on the day, the service from London Control may be terminated and once that happens, it is terminated permanently.

Also EGKB-BPK will never be allowed to a SEP, as it crosses London. IME they don't allow even overflight at FL140 although that could be due to other reasons.

I recall that others have been up this path recently, and concluded that Z is the only way. So, how do bizjets get out of Biggin? Do they file the BPK departure and depart to the West anyway?

I believe the sid/star database is confidential...

Your 2nd LFBI-EGKA route is a good one - thanks

Administrator

Ok, so if you want to avoid DCT routing (mostly) in EGTT/FIR, then try this:

BPK DCT HEN DCT SILVA M605 FINMA M605 DTY M605 PEDIG Y53 NUGRA Y53 NANTI Y53 MOGTA Y53 WAL L10 PENIL L10 CASEL L10 KELLY L10 IOM L10 SLYDA L10 RINGA DCT BAMLI DCT SUROX DCT WST

Brookmans Park direct to Henton is essentially forced by EG5341A if you depart the general direction to Compton, and from Henton there are no continuing airways, so another direct to is needed to connect to the nearest airway. But the route gets somewhat silly in the north.

Or if you want to avoid DCT's as far as practicable just within EGTT/TMA, then I get this:

BPK DCT HEN DCT SILVA M605 FINMA DCT LAPKU DCT TOPRO DCT AMMAN DCT STU DCT BAKUR DCT NEPOD DCT WST

LSZK, Switzerland

For Poiters LFBI to Shoreham EGKA

Try: POI J55 GINON J55 LUTIL J55 TUNAX J55 RONAX J55 LGL R111 CAN DCT NEVIL M189 OSPOL DCT SRH

Validates at FL075 - FL100. GC +10%

OK; that's the one which Tom posted higher up. It's a good one.

Administrator

EGKB to EIWT - this seems to work too at FL095+:

BPK DCT HEN DCT CPT L9 BCN DCT STU DCT BAKUR DCT WST

I have various versions of ones that start with BPK but they cannot possibly be flown on the day in a SEP; they go straight up across London, and straight into the LHR approach path unless flown in an F16.

I am all for the silliest of hacks to break the stupid algorithms at Eurocontrol but I don't really want to file something that is unflyable right from the start.

Maybe it really doesn't matter..........

Administrator

Isn't the number #1 job to get it filed and accepted, and #2 job is to negotiate the route on-the-fly? Just say you can't fly over London in an SEP because of the glide clear requirement?

There is a Eurocontrol rule which forces all westerly departures from EGKB to route via BPK and HEN.

I have just phoned up Biggin OPS and apparently everybody actually departs to BPK...

However it's OK in terms of the glide clear rule because the BPK departure goes to DET first which is way over to the east.

A Z flight plan and DCT CPT is going to save a good half an hour...

Administrator
26 Posts
Sign in to add your message