Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

A day trip Oxford to Zurich in a Cessna Mustang C510

Jason kindly invited me for a day trip to Zurich where he was going for business, in his new business jet

The engines, front and back

The landing gear looks really sturdy

Nice LED wingtip strobes

There is a lot of luggage space, in two compartments: front and rear

The cockpit is really nicely laid out and everything looks well made – quite unlike piston aircraft

Backup instruments

Takeoff – very smooth. Apologies for being slightly out of focus

Isle of Wight from FL380

Somewhere over Europe

Approaching Zurich

Final approach

Taxiing to the handling company

Some pics from Zurich… I went for a walkabout

Back at the airport

Garmin’s SafeTaxi is absolutely brilliant, and as soon as Garmin Pilot / Android can be obtained in Europe I will get this

FL400. The OAT was too warm for an efficient cruise there so the rest was flown at FL380

The radar display. It shows the UK coastline quite well, too

On the ILS at Oxford, in murky weather

An impressive dark sky (the jet shown is not Jason’s)

It’s a great machine for business travel, and Jason is really sharp flying it… pretty obviously he has tons of currency.

However this trip did underline the utility of an airport like Oxford which opens early and closes late, without which same-day trips to Europe would not be possible.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Nice pictures, @Peter. What do you use to take them?

On a side note, you should have called for a drink

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

Samsung S7 phone. It’s not too bad – arguably the best camera phone in current production, though the camera is not as good as the one on my old Nokia 808. Over-saturated, but most people like that

Yes I should have thought of making a contact down there…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Very nice. Lucky you !

LGMG Megara, Greece

Great trip!

LDZA LDVA, Croatia
you should have called for a drink

who says he didn’t?

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Looks like quite a hard landing Jason. While I guess you’re not supposed to flare it like an SEP, this looks too rough for my taste.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

boscomantico wrote:

Looks like quite a hard landing Jason. While I guess you’re not supposed to flare it like an SEP, this looks too rough for my taste.

Perfectly normal. “Wer abfängt ist feige” (only cowards flare) we used to say in my gliding days This Mustang doesn’t have thrust reversers and Zürich expects small aircraft (which includes everything up to B737 and A320…) to take the first or second taxiway. The runway has a pronounced downslope and if you want to make that exit, you have to fly it on. “My” Citation Encore can be flared a tiny little bit in Zürich, but it has the luxury of reverse thrust. I am not sure about part 23 certification requirements but our part 25 aircraft can absorb up to 1.8g on a landing with maximum landing mass. At typical landing speeds this equals something like 700 ft/min. The landing shown in Peter’s video was less than half of that.

EDDS - Stuttgart

How do you know? It looks more like there was very little reduction in sink speed. I see a tiny bit of a flare about one second before touchdown. Maybe that did the trick.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 18 May 17:09
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

boscomantico wrote:

How do you know?

From experience (I have something like 2500 landings in similar aircraft on my back). Over the threshold the ground speed is maybe 90kt, so he will already be descending at less than 500ft/min on a normal 3 degree glideslope. A little flare combined with the downslope of the runway will reduce this to 300ft/min which is what we see in that video.

EDDS - Stuttgart
21 Posts
Sign in to add your message