Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

A generic Approach checklist

I check ATIS, pick up the current altimeter setting, and turn the knob a fraction. All before talking on the radio or getting too close to Class B. Tower does not provide any altimeter setting by verbal communication, or need to.

Terrain clearance has been a factor on (I think) every flight I have ever made, except a couple in Florida, often for the whole flight and at altitudes up to 10,000 ft. A primary consideration for me is keeping the altimeter accurate.

Whatever TA is chosen it should be the same everywhere, and well above terrain everywhere – to do otherwise invites problems.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 31 Dec 08:14

PeteD wrote:

50 nm from MID not LGW…but FL just works!… why make it more difficult??
If you have ever done it you would realise that the RT is rather busy….fannying about with QNH would be unwise.

Well yes, but people cope flying into the New York area which is far busier on the RT. It does work in the UK but personally I would favour a higher and more consistent European TL.

EGTK Oxford

Cobalt wrote:

50 NM form the north would probably all be flown on the London QNH, or maybe one more.

50 nm from MID not LGW…but FL just works!… why make it more difficult??
If you have ever done it you would realise that the RT is rather busy….fannying about with QNH would be unwise.

EGNS, Other

What works for me is a written checklist on the ground for a complex a/c, or CIFFTRS on the ground if it’s a simple a/c (control, instruments, fuel, flaps trim, run up, security). Always Lights-Camera-Action when lining up, always mnemonics in the air.

I do find that the departure can be the most busy time of the flight , rather than the approach which is briefed and prepared at leisure during the cruise.

So in addition to the 1,000’ checks on departure I do PI-FREDA (she’s a baker now) through the TA and again up though FL100. The P is pressure (it’s a C340, verify differential & cabin alt) and the “I” in this case is frozen water. The A ensures I have reset that darn’ altimeter to standard on the way up, avoiding the nice controller’s reminder to “check your altimetry” (don’t ask me how I know). Comes of flying in the States I guess, where FL180 is a big event.

On the descent I use WRIM-TIM (unfortunate chap) and the “I” gives me a scan across the instrument panel including the altimeters, set on QNH as required and cross checked. Then GUMPS just before the FAF. This last bit important in a twin Cessna, not just for the dangly bits but to ensure we are on the tip tanks. Mixture and props stay where they are and Reds-Blues-Greens provides a reminder just in case a MAP is lurking.

But too many TLAs

NeilC
EGPT, LMML

50 NM form the north would probably all be flown on the London QNH, or maybe one more.

Biggin Hill

Cobalt wrote:

The jet traffic spends as little time as possible between 18,000ft and the ground, and typically would be using the QNH of the destination airport, just a bit earlier than before.

Ha! ….going into Gatwick from the north you are usually required to be at FL150 50nm before MID, so that doesn’t really hold true, further a lot of regional traffic cruise between FL100 &200, depending on type and sector length. Different scenario in USA, IMHO TA/TL is just fine where it is for the UK.

EGNS, Other

Yes, I agree. We just can’t afford to just complete checklists “mechanically”, and have that as our only safety net. In other words, first and foremost, we still need to aviate. Then, additionally, checklists may make sense.

Problem is that by those hyper-long and detailed manufacturer and ATO checklists, many pilots are indeed lured into thinking that these are some kind of “instruction manual” for flying that aircraft, this relying only on these. That might end in tears sooner or later. I agree with most in JDs famous column.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 30 Dec 12:21
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I use a paper checklist on the ground, then a FRIEDA kind of memory checklist while flying as a flow mechanism.

I remember this famous article written on AVWEB called “Throw away that stupid checklist”. It is here: http://www.avweb.com/news/pelican/182037-1.html

I have been sitting so often in the right-hand seat next to a guy going through his checklists to notice that he would forget several points. Or I would half way down the checklist drop my pen (on purpose) or ask a question and the pilot would skip several items.

EDLE, Netherlands

Not really.

The jet traffic spends as little time as possible between 18,000ft and the ground, and typically would be using the QNH of the destination airport, just a bit earlier than before.

Most of the low-level VFR traffic is below the transition level anyway, so nothing changes.

The few aircraft that fly between 3,000ft or wherever the TA is and 18,000ft will hardly break the system, and aren’t going so fast that this would be a problem.

Biggin Hill

Finners wrote:

Am I the only one who thinks the TA is fine where it is? I mean, as long as terrain clearance is not a risk factor, of course. At least everyone flying above it is (or should be) on the same pressure setting.

I do. I don’t see any point in raising it to 18000 feet. That will only cause a lot of QNH changes without any substantial benefit.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
27 Posts
Sign in to add your message