Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

A little VFR trip Shoreham EGKA to Exeter EGTE

Today’s trip to Scilly Isles was cancelled because it was murky cold cloudy and very windy there (20kt) which is fine for flying but not so nice for passengers and sightseeing.

So we went to Exeter which was more or less CAVOK and much less windy, though still slightly hazy. I had not been to Exeter for maybe 10 years, and I vaguely recall that the last time was with some people who just wanted to do the airport cafe.

With the cloudbase around 1500ft and tops expected around 3000ft (one could see the blue holes) it was flown VFR at 4300ft, VMC on top. I always fly VFR at “funny numbers” – less chance of meeting somebody. The base of CAS was mostly around 5500ft, with the Southampton bit being Class D all the way to the surface. As is usual I asked for a transit via SAM at 4000ft (that’s the figure they like you at) and got it fine.

The flight was uneventful (didn’t get any pics on that leg) with the RNAV 08 approach to get down through the clouds. There is plenty of terrain around Exeter, especially on the 08 approach, so screwing up is not a good idea

Initially it was cloudy and windy – definitely a need for warm clothes

This is the passenger terminal but GA stuff is processed by Commercial Aviation around the corner. Apparently it used to be done by the local flying club but that has gone bust. There were about 5 other planes parked there, most of which looked like residents

Taxi was estimated at £15 each way but there is a bus every hour for 1/5 of that (per person) so it was a no-brainer. Then the sun came out and stayed out so it was really nice… Here is a few pics of the town

This is a rare sight around the UK – a used camera shop (Ebay has killed most of them)

We paid upon departure – £60.02 total for landing and parking (1400kg). The handling people were really nice, and because we did not have yellow jackets gave us a lift to the plane in a car. (Earlier, after landing there, we got a silly comment “where are your yellow jackets” from some unrelated jobsworth – a not needed piece of sarcasm typical of those types).

Departure… still slightly hazy but very nice VMC conditions. ATC were really relaxed and the VFR departure clearance was just “right turn after departure and direct to Shoreham”

Southampton

Near Shoreham

Back home

It was a really high value day trip. Driving or trains would have been ~5 hours. Flight times were 1:00 and 0:50. Fuel burnt was 25 USG. Economy cruise is 11.5 USG/hr for 140kt IAS, low level.

On weekdays, summer, Shoreham closes 8pm local which is much better than it used to be.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Nice one Peter.

Did you just pop below the layer in G, or did you have to go through the whole rigmarole of a clearance to get under it?

I climbed up above it right after departure from Shoreham and stayed there the whole time.

The base of CAS is generally 5500ft on that trip, which was comfortably above the tops which were about 3000ft.

So no clearance issues. The outbound leg was flown non-radio except the Southampton (Solent Radar) bit which was Class D.

Surface temp was +10C, at 4000ft (VMC on top) it was +12C.

Administrator

It’s funny how perceptions can differ. The last time I visited Exeter i din’t see any of that interesting historic architecture, only a very dull high street full of “high street chain” shops. I do remember seeing the camera shop (this was about 8 years ago) and thinking, “that won’t be there for much longer!”

Forever learning
EGTB

Yes – Exeter has the usual low-end High Street stuff as well. There is a whole street with stuff like Poundland, betting shops, etc.

I just didn’t take photos of it because that is essentially what Brighton (my local town) is full of nowadays…

There are some good cafes too, doing healthy/organic stuff.

Exeter has a John Lewis (a nice department store) which for some reason has carefully avoided setting up in Brighton. In fact JL has a really super cafe on the top floor from where you get a good view of the surrounding countryside especially if you sit outside

The bus to/from the airport passenger terminal to the town centre is 56 or 56A and costs about 3 quid a person.

One confusing thing is that it is not obvious how to walk from the plane to the “C” point. OK… one has legs so walking from A to B is kind of obvious but in the world of aviation everything is regulated and in the absence of an obvious path one is left wondering from where some jobsworth will emerge and give you a bollocking on how easily you could have got run over by a 747. Also the “C” point which is visible from the GA parking is not the real one. It is merely the office of a jobsworth who bollocks you over not wearing a yellow jacket, but he has no other apparent function. To get to the place you pay (called IIRC “Commercial Aviation” – really nice people) you have to walk along a little road, turn right, right again, and then you see another “C” sign.

Administrator

Thanks for posting that Peter. Exeter is one of the few places I have not flown too and ought too as it offers a chance to fly the procedure as well, which is good for currency and also good to get some different procedures to fly rather than the Lydd or Shoreham procedure. When I find something suitable to fly again, I will make a plan. :-)

Always looking for adventure
Shoreham

Nice Peter. Exeter where I grew up, and the exact flight you did is one of the reasons I started flying, so I could visit the family more easily

Exeter is a very historic city, over 2000 years old – heaps of old architecture in spite of the Luffwaffe’s best efforts in 1942 . It’s a great place to visit, and if anyone wants some tips on places to go, let me know.

Nice, shame it’s too far for one-day trip from Croatia

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

A really great trip report and very inspiring for us humble VFR pilots! Thanks Peter :-)

UK, United Kingdom

I don’t know if they have GA hangarage at Exeter, but this was all the GA that was evident

Administrator
29 Posts
Sign in to add your message