Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

A new diesel engine - Dieseljet

Seen at the 2014 AERO and thought it worth its own thread

http://www.dieseljet.com/project/the-2-0-liter-16v-diesel-engine/

yet I have my doubts…

• the inline design makes it an unlikely replacement for the boxer petrol engines most in use; actually an inline is ill to fit to the nose of a single-engine aeroplane. Might be nice in a twin-beam, though.
  • documentation is very incomplete, lacking essential info such as reduction rate, cooling, …
  • at 200 kg it seems rather heavy for the (non-continuous) max. power of 217 HP
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

The picture shows the engine in UAV but might fit a Chipmunk , Tiger Moth to replace Gypsy Major perhaps!

jxk
EGHI, United Kingdom

A bit too heavy for those, I am afraid. Perhaps better in DH Dove, Heron, Dominie…

But yes, it does seem to aim at the (military) UAV market. More money to be made there, too.

Last Edited by at 13 Apr 19:58
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Here is an article about the 2-stroke diesel.

The concept of two pistons in one cylinder is very old. I read a book c. 1965 which was written in 1936 and which described exactly such a diesel engine.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The Jumo 205 2 stroke opposed piston aircraft engines were the most efficient aircraft engines ever made. When the turbine engine was developed (first in the Me262), the industry lost interest in the piston engine because fuel consumption was not a major issue.

Sadly today, fossil fuels are very cheap again. That only helps to preserve the status quo with low tech low build quality 1940s engines…

I wonder if production drawings of the Jumo diesels are still available. Someone may want to revive the production.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

This was an interesting design based on the Jumo aircraft engine.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
7 Posts
Sign in to add your message