Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

A quick trip back from Dublin today...

EGTK Oxford

Almost 80kts on the tail - nice one! What's the highest GS you've seen in your machine?

That is it so far. Wind got to 103knots so a left turn for a strategic bit of "weather avoidance" could have had me at 372...

EGTK Oxford

I could hover in the cruise. Eeek!

EGTT, The London FIR

Flying an old piston twin means I can only dream of such speed.

I have to say though that track up simply does not compute with my brain. Took me far longer than it should have to get my bearings right looking at the map!

United Kingdom

Same for me ;) Does not work in my brain at all.

BTW, the photo nicely shows how inefficient airway routings often are in the UK. In Germany, one would never ever fly such a dogleg…

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Track up works well for high altitude IFR because you don’t need to know anything about the political frontiers or (non mountanious) geography. All that matters is the track, and getting shortcuts whenever you can. The airspace class is irrelevant because you are on an IFR clearance, etc.

For example taking [this](http://www.peter2000.co.uk/aviation/samothraki/egka-ldsb-5.jpg) one would be looking for a shortcut to ODINA.

Low down, VFR, north up works better (for me) because one can relate stuff better to the familiar VFR chart. But my panel mount MFD is always track-up.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Track up also (due to where the G1000 puts the own ship in the various modes) maximises screen real estate for what is in front of you.

And the dogleg was caused by the SIDs out of Dublin all essentially routing to the FIR boundary at LIFFY. I have flown plenty of odd routings out of major German terminal areas. EDDB/EDDM etc.

EGTK Oxford

Euro control IFR or minimum level VFR North up wins for me. I can just as easily see the shortcuts if it’s North up, but I will have a far better idea of where I really am. It’s just a personal thing I imagine.

JasonC, on a different note, what level were you at passing LIFFY and did you get handed over to Scottish/London Control or to London Info? I fly DUB-UK every now and then and I always get handed over to London Info leaving me to re-obtain airways clearance, but the last couple of times I have readback the change to London info and gone straight to Scottish 128.050 who seem to be expecting me, as I just check in as normal and they give me a direct.

Edit: to add that we would be below FL100 for this flight.

United Kingdom

I was at FL270 and was handed straight over to Scottish Control.

EGTK Oxford
17 Posts
Sign in to add your message