Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

A specific ADS-B IN Q on GTX345 in a TAS605 / GTX330 / KMD550 / 2xSN3500 system

I am still waiting to hear whether the above installation can be done, with the installer (any installer) and/or Avidyne taking responsibility for the stuff working.

Avidyne say the traffic data stream has definitely not changed, but of course nothing in the world is 100% guaranteed until you’ve tested it

Also nobody seems to know about the GTX335-TAS605A compatibility, which I find surprising.

Probably the worst case scenario is that the upgraded TAS box doesn’t work (either with my existing display devices, or with the WAAS data from the GTX335) so has to come out and the old one put back in, so I would end up with just a GTX335 i.e. ADS-B OUT.

The problem, AIUI, is that the “A” upgrade involves sending back the old TAS box, so if there is a problem, one cannot put the original back in. I would therefore need an exchange deal. And if one started with the GTX335 installation, which is certain to function, one could then abort the job at that point.

Connecting up a TAS605 box (just transferring the connection to it) takes no time at all, so testing compatibility there would be very quick. One could not do this as the first thing because it needs a WAAS GPS input…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Why don’t you simply get the Lynx 9000 instead of the Garmin 335? I am sure you can sell the 605, keep the antenna for the active traffic, and get all the other nice features, such as aural warnings for both traffic and terrain.

No data merging needed and you will also get rid of that brick at the back of the plane. They offer now an instant rebate of $1,500.

LRIA, Romania

I would not get much for the TAS605, which cost £13k to install originally.
A lot of roof hacking (different antennae).
The data merging is done all inside the TAS605A. This would not be the complicated GTX345 data merging scenario, which would prob99 render all my display devices useless.
Like the GTX345’s ARINC429 traffic output, the Lynx might not drive any of my display devices. Allegedly, though nobody seems to really know, the ADS-B targets display differently, and only the very latest display devices (basically GNS GTN TXI IFD etc) support this.

Sure, if I was doing this today, it would be a different conversation

But… maybe not. The number of UK installers who have even seen the Lynx and who do a half decent job can likely be counted on your thumb Few want to be beta testers.

I am sure the Lynx will change the TAS landscape, and rightly so. Especially after this very interesting exposure on EuroGA.

Administrator

I am told that Avidyne can’t supply an exchange TAS605A so this job cannot go ahead, because I will have no way to absolutely test compatibility with existing display devices.

I would have to install the GTX335 beforehand, to get the WAAS GPS source, and that will in any case deliver some sort of useful function (ADS-B OUT).

Administrator

Some info about the TAS/ADS-B merging in the Avidyne box :
https://avidyne.com/products/tas-a/veritas.html

Reading this thread, I can’t help thinking 99,99% of the general public would be unable to manage some GA avionics, or at least understand Peter’s thought process.

With that setup, you will only have a WAAS GPS position in your transponder. Why not install a WAAS navigator (that you will need one day most probably) and a transponder receiving its GPS data ? I understand it’s a bigger job than what you plan.

Last Edited by Jujupilote at 24 Mar 10:10
LFOU, France

Yes indeed; a bigger job than I am able to take on at present – either way (GTN650+750 or 2x IFD540). I would have to do it freelance because e.g. the autopilot interface from the 2x SN3500 is not something I feel able to explain to any shop I know which does GA and which I would want to use. It is covered by STCs but there is a risk of the shop deciding part way through that there is some issue. It has happened to too many people. It would be 1-2 weeks in a hangar, with special issues like this just to make it more “fun”

I contacted one UK company about installing a GTX335 and they cannot do anything for about 6 months! But a GTX is an easy freelance job (N-reg) in ~ 2 days, much of which will be the WAAS antenna.

That Avidyne page is interesting. However, I am fairly sure that for non SIL=3 ADS-B OUT targets the behaviour of the system is exactly the same as presently.

Administrator

I have posted on some US sites (avionics market at least 10x bigger than Europe) about whether anyone is feeding a TAS605A from a GTX335, and got zero, zilch, no input at all.

Perhaps this scenario is very rare now and everybody (well those few who have bought or upgraded to a TAS605A, which has not been out all that long) is feeding it from their panel mount WAAS GPS.

In that case I would expect Garmin to have the same output data stream in say a GTN650 as in a GTX335. But you never quite know…

If the WAAS GPS output stream document was available, there would be an easy solution…

Administrator

Peter,
I have not read every jot and tittle of the above posts, but you could get a PilotAware Rosetta, stick it with a suction pad
to a rear window and see the local aircraft that is ADS-B out (it might surprise you). The cost £260 plus a 5v power bank
maybe £20, ram suction cup £?. Whilst flying you can wifi the traffic to an iPad and get critical verbal traffic warnings via
SkyDemon (if you have it) over Bluetooth into your headset, if you do not have this facility Bluetooth earpieces fitting
under your headset cost £5 – they should work. A 10,000mah 5v power bank will run the PilotAware for 10hrs.

After each flight one can download all the traffic data acquired onto a laptop and run through the route and see what was
flying near or far from you, a free service using the AIRCREW site. You will also see other traffic tx-ing GPS position
but that is another matter. With this info you can consider your future options.

Archer2
EGKA, United Kingdom

I am aware, Stanley, that an uncertified ADS-B IN box will receive both uncertified (SIL=0-2) and certified (SIL=3) ADS-B OUT emissions, and that is quite a good thing, but I prefer to avoid gadgets around the plane which need to be kept charged, etc. The TB20 has very little room for that sort of thing. I would much prefer to have everything in the panel, and unfortunately the options for that are all in the certified arena. There are obvious “illegal” routes for merging data but unfortunately the protocols are hard to find; nobody who works in the relevant fields has thus far been willing to help.

I am still looking at the GTX335 and the TAS605 “A” upgrade. That would give me both ADS-B OUT and (certified emitters only) ADS-B IN, and would be quite easy and low risk in terms of the installation. I will probably do it at my next Annual, which will be my next opportunity for a hangar where work is permitted. I was going to do it at the last Annual (Jan/Feb 2019) but the installer who I use for wiring (I can do it all myself but as with house electrics somebody who does it all day does it a lot faster) went elsewhere for a number of weeks…

Administrator

Peter,
Thanks for your reply. I have just had my GTX330 upgraded to ES and already had GNS430W so I should be SIL=3
if you know who (A) has got it working.

Archer2
EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message