Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

A summer trip to the Baltic Rim

Day 5 – the final day and return to Lübeck.

There isn’t so awfully much in terms of lunch destinations in between Kuressaare and Lübeck. Lots of water and – again, the isle of Gotland. So, since on day 1, when I first visited Gotland, I was a bit stressed due to my discovery of the starter adapter problem, I decide to give it a second go so I can enjoy it with more piece of mind. Also, I would need some fuel anyway, and knowing what a good place for refuelling Visby is, makes the decision even easier.

In the morning, I file the flightplan via Skydemon. A straight line and about one hour of flying, VFR. Speaking of weather, it was supposed to be severe VFR up to Visby.

Also, this time, I forgo the taxi and do the leisurely 30-minute walk to the airfield during this wonderful summer morning. No problem with my very light baggage.

I pay the (modest) landing and parking fee and hop out across the apron and to the aircraft. Once again, a shot of the wonderful, relaxed, yet fully equipped airport.

A Finnish ultralight is now the only other aircraft on the field.

From above:

Inbound to the town of Kuressaare:

Unfortunately, just as I fly past, a cumulus cloud casts a big shadow right over the castle. Anyway, here’s a good overview of the town, the castle and the beach.

There is also a golf course just next to town.

That peninsula in the southwest of Kuressaare is called Sörve. During WW2, this was the place of several bloody battles between Germany and the Soviet Union.

Anyway, I then start my climb to my crusing level, FL85. The next few minutes are pure joy of flying: great weather and visibility, just some cumulus clouds, an SR22 with one POB and half fuel, thus climbing at 2000 feet per minute, and handflying between these little puffy clouds. Doesn’t get much better.

About half an hour later, I’m in the descent towards Visby.

Approaching the island’s northeasterly tip.

Actually, that northwesterly tip is not Gotland itself, but a separate little island called Fårö, which is also very popular with tourists.

Here, you can see the ferry connecting Gotland and Fårö.

And just south of the ferry port is the “other” airfield on the island of Gotland, called Bunge (ESVB). This is operated by some private gentleman. I will land there next time I am around.

And the approach and landing at Visby again (runway 09 this time).

This time, the aeroclub is much busier.

Here, by the way, is the (Shell) Avgas pump, with a credit card terminal.

I also meet a very friendly Danish pilot with a Reims Rocket, who happens to camp (!) on the airport, together with his wife. Of course, we exchange the latest news on secret airstrips on the Danish islands.

I walk into town again and check out most of the beautiful town wall. Visby arguably is the best-preserved medieval city in Scandinavia.

A few more pics from inside the town wall.

On my way back to the airport, I file an IFR flightplan to Lübeck and half an hour later, take off from runway 27. Interesting to note that in VMC, ATC will allow departures from the grass runway even on IFR flightplans.

A last look at Visby Old Town.

A final note on ESSV: as I said, it does not seem to be possible to pay landing fees (or: takeoff fees ) in situ. Which is fine. Better doing a quick bank transfer when at home than losing time during your holiday. However, since Sweden doesn’t have the Euro, it turns out these bank transfers cost some considerable money. Maybe it depends on the bank, but I had to pay 40 Euros for this one bank transfer. The fees themselves (2 landings and two times about 3 hours of parking) were about 80 Euros.

Also, while the departure was in VMC, it is on this very last leg of this tour that I encounter the only bit of IMC. After crossing Germany the day before, a front has since moved further northeast and is now moving over the south of Öland, and I have to fly across it. However, there are no strikes in there and the rain is not too strong. The freezing level is at FL100, so no problem.

Unfortunately, as I enter the front, I get some P-static and the engine instruments on the MFD go out (a well known phenomenon, so no big surprise).

Flying at FL100, I am right at the freezing level, or a tiny bit below it. I get no ice.

However, even just flying through light to moderate rain in the SR22 costs about 10 knots of airspeed.

Anyway, a few minutes later, I come out at the other end of the front….

..but then still had to climb to FL110 to stay on top. With a freshly washed airframe, I was now doing 174KTAS on 12.8 GPH.

Almost within gliding distance…

Hiddensee (Germany).

Warnemünde, near Rostock. Time to start the descent.

On the ILS for runway 25, the Bay of Lübeck.

I would summarize that the Baltic region remains very attractive for flying trips during the northern European summer months (end of June until beginning of September). Highly recommended.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 02 Oct 19:26
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Your SR22 is about 5 knots faster than mine, is my estimate! At FL100 and 13 GPH I rarely get it over 166-167.
The trip report was wonderful, some great destination I put directly in my notebook …

Nice pics. Also a nice clean hangar…

That MFD going blank in IMC is a bit worrying. I have heard such reports, sporadically.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thank you for your report !
Another part of Europe to discover for me from the air !

Last Edited by Jujupilote at 02 Oct 19:34
LFOU, France

Bosco,
did you have P-static events before? I did not experience it yet, but my friend Marc’s SR22 had it last week … no radio for a minute or two in heavy rain.

Your hangar looks identical to mine!

Last Edited by at 02 Oct 19:36

Well, maybe hangar is nice when compared to those 50 or 80 year old ones that are often found in the UK, but this one is actually quite terrible (dirty, and nobody takes care of it).

You don’t lose the MFD, just the engine data depiction on the MFD. I still have the analog engine gauges. What IS annoying is that you lose the fuel computer memory, so you won’t have a proper destination FOB anymore.

Yes, many P-static events in the past as well.

What’s more annoying is when you lose your radios (due to P-static) when you are IFR. Fortunately haven’t had that for many years.

A long time ago, we did a few things to reduce the buildup of P-static on the airframe, but it only partially solved the problem. Some airframes, even of the same year, are less prone to P-static than others.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 02 Oct 19:52

Hi!
Nice trip report!
I am based in Tallinn, EETN and have flown most of the Estonian airfields and visited all of the islands.
Some information about the smaller Estonian airfields and islands that you flew over:

1) Lyckholm (EELU). Yes you are right, the strip is operated by a private person. I have landed there once, the strip is a bit rough but perfectly ok for PA28/C172 or similar.
2) Vormsi (EEVO) is a bit uneven too but ok for C172 or PA28. I would suggest not to attempt both of them with a Cirrus.
Right next to the strip is a Pub called “Krog no. 14”, which is quite nice :) Scooters availiable for rent as far as i know.
3) Hiiumaa, Kärdla airport (EEKA) is nice, you can get Avgas from there but it is quite expensive (about 3,2Eur/L last time i refuelled there). Rental cars can be ordered to the airfield if you call in advance. See here Sorry unfortunately it is only in Estonian. My Garmin 795 GPS has the correct telephone number for car rent and taxi so if you have anything similar you probably can get some info from there also.
The island has a relaxed atmosphere, several nice lighthouses and many very nice beaches.
4) Kihnu (EEKU). I have not landed there myself but i have heard the runway is quite good. The island is well known for its women riding with sidecar motorcycles :)
5) Ruhnu (EERU). The runway is reinforced grass and is quite ok in my opinion. The runway is located close to the harbour, you can have lunch there and rent some bicycles, or get a ride in a backside of a truck bed if you talk to the locals :) In the center of the island there is a quite interesting old woodern church, built in 1643.

There is also a commercial flight going to EERU with Britten-Norman Islander during winter time :)

As for Gotland i would recommend to visit Bunge airfield. They have a small aviation museum there and both of the times i have visited, i have managed to rent a car from them :)

You can find the Estonian VFR guide about the smaller airports here

Last Edited by Madis at 02 Oct 21:39

Thanks Madis. Good additional information about flying in Estonia!

Do you have any experiences with Rapla? Is it a reasonable alternative for visiting Tallinn or not? Are there frequent trains from Rapla to Tallinn? And: how to get to Rapla station from the airfield?

Re EETN: if a visitor doesn’t need customs, Avgas, or anything else, is there any way to get away from those two expensive bus rides (aka “handling”)? Is there an aeroclub facility there?

Narva also looks interesting…. so close to the Russian border…

There is some active flying going on in Rapla during flying season. Most of the flying is parachute dropping though.

I really have no idea how to get from the airfield to train station in Rapla. I have only been there with aircraft :) I would talk to the locals or try Uber.
You can find the train table here

In reality i would still land in Tallinn, even though it might be more expensive.

I know the bus ride is with ridiculous price unless you have a contract with Tallinn airport GH. You probably paid 30 eur per ride right? Ridiculous!
Unfortunately it is not possible to escape the bus ride even if you are local and have landed outside the airport. If you have a contract with them, you pay 7,7 Eur per ride.
I will raise the issue in the next AOPA estonia meeting, maybe we can talk them to have a discount for AOPA members. (i would not get any high hopes though).

There is no “airclub” facility in Tallinn airport other than the very small building next to Apron Y5. It is mostly used by one of the local flight schools.

Wow, great trip and a nice report! Thanks for sharing!

EHTE, Netherlands
40 Posts
Sign in to add your message