Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

A top tip: Coburg (EDQC)

Not a trip report, but a few impressions from today’s destination and a recommendation for a day-trip. Coburg, in the southeast of Germany.

The airport, EDQC, is definitely one of the most scenic ones in Germany. It’s located on a hilltop, with beautiful views all around. Half a mile away is the Castle (Veste) of Coburg, which is prominent on final to and on deaprture from runway 30. Sorry, I didn’t take any pictures on the approach, since it was a bit bumpy. Here’s a photo taken after landing:

It’s also one of those perfect airfields for GA: Hard runway, regular opening hours, fuel, IFR procedures ! (RNAV), lowish fees, even customs!, lots of based aircraft, a caff, etc. Just works. Just nice.

Here’s a closer look at the Veste (photo taken from the airfield):

From the airfield, it’s a five minute walk there.

The Veste can of course be visited and has three panorama view platforms.

It hosts various art expositions, and it has a restaurant.

From there, it is a very pleasant, downhill, 15-minute walk (which feels more like 5 minutes) through a wonderful park to the Old Town of Coburg.

Here is a series of impressions from the Old Town, on a quiet Sunday morning. Lots of places to eat and drink there.

The walk back up to the airfield is obviously a bit more sporty, but still very pleasant (alternatively, one can take a taxi which costs only a few Euros).

Highly recommended!

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Looks great, thanks for sharing!

LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

Looks like a place I should visit! One day instead of heading south from Munich I’ll do the opposite. Very scenic photos.

British readers may remember that Queen Victoria’s husband, Albert, was from Coburg.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 02 May 04:01

thanks, I am going to update my (a bit neglected currently) list of places to go.

LKKU, LKTB

Silvaire wrote:

British readers may remember that Queen Victoria’s husband, Albert, was from Coburg.

And the Belgian royal family is still called “the house of Saxe-Coburg”, and the first king had been reared in London – not that it matters much.

As for the aerodrome: I have seen several recommendations for it, but even with my almost-stol craft I do not like the idea of operating on/from a hilltop – I supposed it takes some getting used to, if one learned to fly in totally flat country. The day I land at Traben-Trarbach will be a breakthrough, Coburg can then be the next one. It strikes me that a good number of German airfields are situated on hilltops or on ridges; a good idea, at least they’ll not suffer from waterlogging.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Thanks @boscomantico that’s deffinately on the list! I really want to see some German castles. Thanks.

Alex
Shoreham (EGKA) White Waltham (EGLM), United Kingdom

Thanks I definitely put this on my list of todo :-)

jfw
Belgium: EBGB (Grimbergen, Brussels) - EBNM (Namur), Belgium

boscomantico wrote:

perfect airfields for GA

One thing is missing though: MOGAS

EDLE

Agree. It’s a TOTAL pity.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I think I remember the red brick building. It was a youth hostel 35 years ago and we stayed there in 1982 or so.

Last Edited by mdoerr at 03 May 14:00
United Kingdom
28 Posts
Sign in to add your message