Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

A trip to Greece?

Following on from the other new thread about going somewhere seriously far…

Greece ticks a lot of boxes:

• Friendly people
  • GA is not a problem (once you check out the timetables etc)
  • Avgas is OK (with a long range aircraft)
  • Easily accessible (usually via Corfu)
  • Very scenic
  • Great food
  • Not expensive

I know most people are scared of going that far, which is a pity. It’s well worth it.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
  • Feedback available herein by resident Greek lurkers
LGMG Megara, Greece
Went to Corfu last year stayed at a great place Pelecas Country club. The Mission commander wants to go back this coming Sept. I would like to do 3 days there then head further south for a few days then back to Munich. I figure 8-9 days.
KHTO, LHTL

My plan for 2015 is to do Greece (probably NW Aegean) from Venice in September – like I did Greece in 2014 from Corsica. It’s very efficient.

The Venice fly-in will be early September, which makes for better wx in Greece too.

Sounds good for a Greek meetup then!

Administrator

I have long had Greece on my to-do list, and September looks good. Two places I am especially interested in are LGMT Mytilene and LGKJ Kastellorizo. Dear resident Greek lurkers, could you please comment on visiting these two (things to know, avgas availability, etc.)?

Last Edited by Ultranomad at 19 Feb 23:29
LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Peter don’t you dare not visit Milos LGML this year !

Ultranomad LGMT TWR/APP ATCO is here reading and he’ll pop up soon I guess !
Its an excellent island with a very active local aeroclub but no AVGAS.
Its not as small as other Greek islands.
For AVGAS in North Greece you refuel either in Kerkyra LGKR or LGSM Samos. LGTS Thessaloniki does not officially have AVGAS but if you desperately need some the based Aeroclub should be able to help. Careful, I write should, not will.

http://www.aopa.gr/info/ has all the basic. info you need for flying in Greece.
Most important are paragraphs 12, 17, 19 and 22.
Top left you see also the Airports link which gives a rough guide to Greek islands and its airports.

LGKJ Kastelorizo is an excellent destination too. It’s as far as southeast as you can go in Greece !
No AVGAS but Rhodes LGRP , 75nm before Kastelorizo, has plenty.
My last flight there was in the total eclipse of the sun in 2006.
Pictures: http://hellasga.com/gallery/kyp/lgkj

AthensFlying Week (AFW) Air Show this year will be 11-13 September but its still not decided whether it’ll be in Athens Tatoi LGTT airport or Tanagra LGTG AF base NW of Athens. AFW provides facilitation to all participating GA flight visitors in its “Fly In” part of the event with AVGAS, free parking at the show and free handling at all Greek airports during the week of the event.

Last Edited by petakas at 20 Feb 07:04
LGMG Megara, Greece

AthensFlying Week (AFW) Air Show this year will be 11-13 September but its still not decided whether it’ll be in Athens Tatoi LGTT airport or Tanagra LGTG AF base NW of Athens. AFW provides facilitation to all participating GA flight visitors in its “Fly In” part of the event with AVGAS, free parking at the show and free handling at all Greek airports during the week of the event.

That is actually really useful because you get both Customs and Avgas, near Athens, without spending ~€200 just to land at LGAV. I think I can work my trip down there around that. Will they do the F16 flights for 500DM, like last time?

Administrator

That sounds like a plan. Do I have this right Athens we get to fly to a major European airport without having ones underwear stripped off?

How close is either airport to Athens by ground transport? I suppose we have to decide soon if there is going to be an airshow, for Hotel accommodations.

Corfu was not too bad as far as handling was concerned as long as your an AOPA member WITH your card.

Thinking of flying to Athens for this rare opportunity then onto Corfu fulfilling the Mission Kommanders order that we must at least stay at Pelecas Bay so she can unwind.

KHTO, LHTL

Will they do the F16 flights for 500DM, like last time?

Or you could add one more zero and it’ll be Drachma. Nobody knows yet …

Seriously, jets will fly for sure, the dilemma is that if they do it again in Tatoi LGTT Athens there is limited capacity in “noise” pollution due to city center and Parthenon proximity but its conveniently close to gather the masses ( = more tickets)

If they go the Tanagra LGTG AFB way the show with jets will be second to none with many participants and no limits in noise pollution but its 60km from city center ( = less tickets)

Clips from previous AFW air shows:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSFoeuMgcbuTgM3zhVnTCAw/

Last Edited by petakas at 20 Feb 11:22
LGMG Megara, Greece

Do I have this right Athens we get to fly to a major European airport without having ones underwear stripped off?

Only for Athens International (LGAV) the cost is some 200~250 if you do not do technical stop (i.e. refuel and go) but embark/disembark passengers from airside to landside.
During AFW show if the aircraft participates at the Fly In (i.e. at some time during the event parts at the GA designated apron) then handling at all Greek airports visited few days before and after is completely free by sponsor Handler (usually Swissport).

Apart from the above there is no ripoff, all charges at other airports except LGAV range from 5 to 50 Euro per visit depending on passengers, handling, days of parking etc. or add some 30~50 Euro to that if you have no AOPA AIR CREW card with you.

How close is either airport to Athens by ground transport? I suppose we have to decide soon if there is going to be an airshow, for Hotel accommodations.

Athens Tatoi LGTT (previous AFW events) : very close, 16 Km
Tanagra LGTG AFB (if AFW 2015 goes there) : 61 Km
Athens Megara LGMG (GA airfield of Athens) : 42 Km

Once announcements go public there will be also (designated by AFW) Athens area Hotels offering discounts to GA FlyIn participants (and crews of air show) exclusviely.

Corfu was not too bad as far as handling was concerned as long as your an AOPA member WITH your card.

Indeed, some 30 or so Euro with AOPA card.

Thinking of flying to Athens for this rare opportunity then onto Corfu fulfilling the Mission Kommanders order that we must at least stay at Pelecas Bay so she can unwind.

Perfectly doable. Only key thing is to reserve space early in Corfu (Kerkira LGKR) because the GA apron is of very high demand in summer. It has avgas, customs, minimal parking per day (as all airports except LGAV), the whole lot and with cheap handling if with AOPA card.
I recommend you notify for PNR (best via chosen handler, see aopa page referred above) really early to the “rough” dates with wider stretch and you can always modify them later by making it shorter to the actual span of days to stay to leave the space for other fellow pilots. This period nobody will deny PNR parking space due to space booked.
Peak periods are end of June until mid. September.

Last Edited by petakas at 20 Feb 11:53
LGMG Megara, Greece
31 Posts
Sign in to add your message