Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Abbeville and Charleville-Mezieres

I am looking for a Customs airfield in France that is: -
a) not on the coast to avoid coastal weather
b) positioned for a flight into Germany

From what I can see both Abbeville and Charleville-Mezieres can handle the customs clearance. Does anyone have any experience of these airfields good or bad?

Re customs, better quickly check directly with the respective airport operators. While both AIP entries still list “customs” (4h PN and 24h PN), one really can’t be sure nowadays. I remember that Abbeville was on the famous “redlist” some time ago.

The northeast quadrant of France has become rather devoid of customs airfields in recent years. In addition, Lille-Lesquin seems to have become a bit of a PITA also.

Depending on where in Germany you are going, you might also consider Kortrijk (EBKT) in Belgium.

Saturday, I landed at Charleville. My gosh, what a dump the airport was. Tristesse pure, mon Dieu!

Last Edited by boscomantico at 05 May 18:57
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Can we learn more about your trip? Where do you start and what is your destination? What is your range?

United Kingdom

No idea about Abbeville. Charleville-Mezieres I visited a couple of times, and I can only confirm Bosco’s impression. Yet I am in doubt: if we all agree this field is not worth visiting, it will soon be not an airfield at all, and certainly not one with the current facilities. Shouldn’t we rather flock to it, so as to bring back a bit of life? When do we meet there?

Last Edited by at 05 May 20:42
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Leaving UK at Abbots Bromley (near Tatenhill) and going to Kuonivce (Czech Republic). Just need a customs stop, lunch and fuel. Could do 400nm on each leg but probably prefer to keep it closer to 250nm.

Kortrijk looks good. What’s the URL for the Belgian equivalent of the French SIA site?

www.belgocontrol.be

but there is also the airport’s own website at http://www.kortrijkairport.be/index.php?id=5&L=2

For lunch at EBKT, check http://www.bistrobiggles.be/ which will introduce you to the local language at the same time. Do call them the evening before to book your table! There is another eatery, though, within easy walking distance.

As alternates for EBKT, you could consider EBAW and EBCI, both have customs and avgas and a restaurant. EBAW is the more practical but more out of your way.

and btw check the spelling of Kunovice.
If you get there, do visit the museum, but be warned your heart might bleed at the beautiful rare airframes rotting away in the lush grass.

Last Edited by at 06 May 17:16
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Jan, I was a Kunovice last year and most of the good stuff appeared to be in hangars, some looking new to me.

Kortrijk is very good. They have police on site and they let you go without paying for fuel and landing, just have to write your name and address in a book. The restaurant is haute cuisine.

I had a funny encounter with a stubborn Flemish taxi driver. I asked him to drive me to the airport in Kortrijk. He was just looking at me and said “there is no airport in Kortrijk.” Of course there is, I landed there two days before and my airplane is there. No, he’s lived in Kortrijk for generations and I can rest assured, there is no airport. Just when I said I’m going to find another cab he asked “maybe you want to go to the airport in Wevelgem?”. The difference between Kortrijk and Wevelgem is like 100 meters and the airport is officially called Kortrijk-Wevelgem but apparently it is a sensitive topic where the airport really is…

Indeed…it’s funny how taxidrivers often don’t seem to know about airfields under their more “commercial” name, but only after the village it belongs to…
I could tell about countless occasions where they didn’t have a clue as to where they were supposed to go, and then, when finally threw in one magic word, it was a big “ahhhhhhh” (as if to say: why didn’t you say so straight away…)

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Jan is totally right! I think Kortrijk-Wevelgem (EBKT) is your best option. Take Antwerpen (EBAW) as your alternate.
The food and handling is great at both places! Here is my lunch, not so long ago at the Biggles Restaurant…

Last Edited by Tailwind at 06 May 19:17
18 Posts
Sign in to add your message