Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Abbreviations

Even with the experience of 2GREENS 1RED the acronym is not known. Please can we reduce this silly habit that has become so prevalent?

UK, United Kingdom

PCL is actually pretty standard. You can see it in AIP and airport plates for instance

Fenland_Flyer wrote:

Even with the experience of 2GREENS 1RED the acronym is not known. Please can we reduce this silly habit that has become so prevalent?

I agree that we should not overdo the use of acronyms and it is of course always ok to ask what any one means. But I also feel that we should be allowed to use “official” acronyms. PCL is one of them — look in the “Abbreviations” section of your favourite AIP.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Noe wrote:

PCL is actually pretty standard. You can see it in AIP and airport plates for instance

I have never heard of it. According to Wikipedia

Pilot-controlled lighting (PCL), also known as aircraft radio control of aerodrome lighting (ARCAL) or pilot-activated lighting (PAL)

So, we have 3 synonymous and official acronyms; PCL, ARCAL and PAL.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Very standard in French AIP (and abbreviation which also might be harder to find)

Thanks!

OT ?

Swanborough Farm (UK), Shoreham EGKA, Soysambu (Kenya), Kenya

Checked the AIP Norway. No such acronym, even though most airports have it. It simply called automatic activation of airport lightning.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

OT = off topic.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I do believe I posed this very same question a year or so ago.

Forever learning
EGTB
Sign in to add your message