Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

AC43.13 usable just for repairs or for new construction too?

Many years ago, a big UK avionics shop refused to do an ELT installation unless a DER package was done (to cover the ELT mounting screws, at a location where another type of ELT was previously mounted), citing that AC43.13 was a “repairs” manual only and this was not a repair.

I sidestepped that issue at the time by buying a (useless) 121.50-only Artex ELT identical to the one which used to be there. (It was there when I bought the plane but the UK CAA demanded it’s removal, saying ELTs are not legal in GA aircraft… not kidding… and Air Touring didn’t want to argue the point).

Much later, Kannad brought out a 121.50+406 ELT which had the mounting points compatible with the Artex one, and this was installed as a Minor mod, having consulted 3xIA and (informally) 1×DER.

But what if one is doing something new e.g. a mounting bracket for an external camera? Can it be done IAW AC43.13?

I think clearly the answer is YES because I see this everywhere in e.g. TCAS box and antenna mounting instructions.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

There are two AC’s under the title of AC 43.13.

AC 46.13-1B is titled “Acceptable Methods, Techniques,and Practices, Aircraft Inspection and Repair” is for repair.

AC 43.13-2B is titled “Acceptable Methods, Techniques, and Practices – Aircraft Alterations” and is intended for alterations, not for repairs.

PURPOSE. This advisory circular (AC) contains methods, techniques, and practices acceptable to the Administrator for the inspection and alteration on non-pressurized areas of civil aircraft of 12,500 lbs gross weight or less. This AC is for use by mechanics, repair stations, and other certificated entities. This data generally pertains to minor alterations; however, the alteration data herein may be used as approved data for major alterations when the AC chapter, page, and paragraph are listed in block 8 of FAA Form 337 when the user has determined that it is:
a. Appropriate to the product being altered,
b.Directly applicable to the alteration being made, and
c.Not contrary to manufacturer’s data.
KUZA, United States

NCYankee wrote:

There are two AC’s under the title of AC 43.13.

That’s a really useful observation. I never realized there are two ACs. This is AC43.13-2B the alteration AC. I think when you buy the book the two are often combined in a single bound volume, leading to confusion.

As an aside, I asked the FAA General Counsel if the guidance in AC 43.13-2B could be used for the installation of an ELT. See General Counsel Opinion

KUZA, United States

Many thanks for that, NCYankee. I have updated my ELT writeup with the CC ruling. Not that most people ever doubted it would be a Minor!

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Funny. Those two documents are more or less a bible for operating/maintaining experimental aircraft, in particular the -1B.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

What’s funny about it? Experimental aircraft relying on certified procedures?

AC-43.13-1B and -2B is heavily referred to throughout CS-STAN. For instance for the original question, on EASA aircraft, an ELT can be installed complying to AC-43.13-2 as stated in CS-SC101a.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany
7 Posts
Sign in to add your message