Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Acceptable turbulence

(I think the second example above are pretty harmless CU clouds, not really TCUs …. with all the other ones I agree, of course)

The descriptions in my post apply to the photos below them… is that in agreement?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yes, but the second ones from the top really aren’t t hat bad, are they? I think in that stage there’s still little turbulence.

Autopilots are all very different so I don’t agree with the comments on disconnect but denopa is is right speed control is the key. You must remember that turbulence is the wings generating then losing lift and the consequent effect on the airframe. Slow down. wings level is all that matters.

EGTK Oxford

but the second ones from the top really aren’t t hat bad, are they

Depends on the vertical extent. If say the vertical is 3x or 5x the width, it will be very rough inside.

I don’t agree with the comments on disconnect

I could dig out the manuals but the King units (arguably the most common in GA, among those which actually work properly) are specified to disconnect at something like 20 deg pitch or 30 deg roll excursions. And STEC units (most/all of which historically run from a TC, not AI) are worse in handling turbulence.

I have had a number of disconnects due to turbulence, mostly in VMC.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I have had autopilots on every aircraft I’ve flown fitted with one give up in turbulence, but for different reasons. However, the most common cause has been low level mechanical turbulence on approach rather than high level stuff.

London area

The DFC90 Autopilot in my Cirrus will not disconnect in light to moderate turbulence – and of course i have not tried it in severe turbulence.

If say the vertical is 3x or 5x the width, it will be very rough inside.

Not really my experience. I did fly through some really high TCUs (real towers) and it was bad, but the ones you show in that picture were just a little rough but not so bad.

But I do not have enough experience with it to know if if I was just lucky ….

In my experience, low level VFR flight = turbulence and high level IFR flight = smooth flight.

I have had autopilot disconnect in turbulence but the Garmin A/P and servos are good and cope better than some lighter versions

In my experience, low level VFR flight = turbulence and high level IFR flight = smooth flight.

Usually but not always.

EGTK Oxford
Sign in to add your message