Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Ad Hoc fly-ins

Telegram group for ad-hoc fly-ins: https://t.me/+xNhorhP63F8wMDU0

A few pics from a day trip Shoreham EGKA to Exeter EGTE

A brief gap in UK’s poor November weather. IFR flight with a transit via SAM at 4000ft IFR. They gave us the transit from about 20nm back, which is very unusual and it is just possible that they are becoming aware of countless complaints of long delayed responses (to the initial call for a transit) forcing people to do dive bombing doglegs below 2000ft and (because they left it too late) often nipping a bit of their CAS and ending up sent down to Gasco…

ILS08 at EGTE. Unusually for me, the pic is showing two reds and two whites, without photoshopping

The cheap hardware

We got told off, politely, because we could not find the prescribed footpath back to the security gate. There must have been one but neither of us could see it. Last time I came to EGTE we got a massive bollocking from a totally anally retarded yellow jacket enforcer but this time it was very pleasant. From the gate to the GA parking area, the footpath is obvious.

The expensive hardware

The cathedral, with the whole green field in front of it packed with xmas markets

Nice pics in the low winter sunlight

You don’t need to call for a startup if VFR, which is unusual for a “big” place. ATC was really nice.

Same nice wx on the way back

On both flights, ice was guaranteed in the cloud at -2C to -3C as always. TKS needed to be on full flow, not the lower “anti ice” setting. Tops were FL063 so on the way back I climbed to FL065 and got a SAM transit at FL065 but then had to dive down otherwise I would have busted the adjacent LTMA whose base is 5500ft and which Solent cannot clear you into. So basically one is flying pointlessly in hazardous conditions because a simple clearance cannot be obtained, but hey this is all over Europe which is why many of us got the IR… it isn’t for extended flight in cloud

Light GA is processed on (PPR of course) 01392 354915 (some aeroclub kind of setup) and on the way out they book you out and give you a bit of paper for the security gate people to let you back out. Total cost was £63.64. You get 1hr parking free but we parked for several hours.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Nice trip report, was it a visual or instrument approach?

I overflew Solent/Southampton today hoping to watch that warship docking from the air but it end up to be a good day to pick load of ice on the band 2500ft-5500ft, so end up sunbathing over IoW before landing and taking taxi to the harbour :)

Last Edited by Ibra at 16 Nov 21:12
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Vectors to ILS 08 at EGTE.

There was enough cloud “around” to choose the ILS.

I did see that prohibited area near the Isle of Wight in the notams and printed off a bit of the CAA chart showing it, because it could have nicely trapped somebody (i.e. me) who failed to get a SAM transit and had to do the “dive bombing dogleg”.

Administrator

Yes, last minute change of mind Saturday on a CAS request would end up as a costly bust of that RAT !
Sunday RAT was cancelled so I overflew Portsmouth, spot the runway,

Undershooting the OLS, on speed but hard to see the meatball (that was from a boat )

I wonder where their rules of engagement are to shoot if you tried to land on it?

Administrator

Temporary loss of power sir!

United Kingdom

The only runway in the SE for which strictly PPR make sense (for a good reason)

Like any other military airfield, don’t worry no one will shoot you landing on it but you need more than just my grandma want to have look ;)

I’m planning to be in Calais LFAC around late morning / early lunch (need to depart 13:00 local) tomorrow, if anyone is around to say hi.

Anyone doing anything at the weekend 30 Nov? UK or N France looks ok.

I managed to sneak in a quick local today, in a gap in the awful wx…

Administrator

Wx looks amazing in S. UK / N. France this weekend

I am looking at a day trip to Norwich, where I can get going at 4500ft all the way without doing a CAS bust They have buses from the airport, too.

Sunday is best for me.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message