Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Ad Hoc fly-ins

Telegram group for ad-hoc fly-ins: https://t.me/+xNhorhP63F8wMDU0

Tigerflyer wrote:

I`ll will be on the East-Frisian islands most probably on sunday, but don`t want to disturb your meeting. So next time.

@Tigerflyer: Ok! I’ll be D-ELJC for the weekend, no idea which island yet, do say hi if you see me around. ;-)

Peter, lovely photos, enjoy the short trip!

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

Bolzano is a GO for tomorrow morning, unless the webcams don’t show a clear sky in which case I will fly all the way back home. If I get to Bolzano, and the wx still looks OK for flying home same day I will do that, otherwise I will hang out there overnight and depart Sunday morning early. There is a lot of TS wx around, every day, building up in the afternoon.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I have cancelled Bolzano this morning due to cloud at 10k which would mean descending through it on the way down. Going all the way back home.

Administrator

Could have called in at Calvi.

Last Edited by Rob2701 at 26 Aug 06:50
EGBE (COVENTRY, UK)

The Mali Losinj restaurant is the only one I know that is worth going through customs just to eat at…

Glad to see it’s looking good and apparently going strong.

Thanks for the lovely pics

What is the apron like nowadays? It took me ages to get all the sand out from the seats, the carpets, etc, and I had to pay someone to clean the landing gear. It’s OK with an SR22 which is fixed gear. As indeed one SR22 pilot did, chucking the stuff at everybody there as he taxied past (I posted a video of him; an F-reg) after we offered to help him push it off the sand.

Glad to see it’s looking good and apparently going strong.

It’s got the same waitress too

I will do a quick trip report when I get time. Some funny stuff happened… France lost my flight plan so didn’t know what to do with me. I flew back home through a gap between two big buildups over the Alps (cancelled and re-filed the FP 5 mins before EOBT once I could see the IR image) but had to get to FL190 to get above the haze so I could see ahead enough to see where I was going.

I paid a price for the 30kt tailwind on the way there, in a 30kt headwind on the way back

Administrator

The parking is not too bad at Calvi. It’s a beautiful harbour here, great views sitting on the sea front. My amusing moment was whilst Performing a circle to land for R36 on the downwind leg after the RNAV R18. Tower asked me to extend the downwind leg due to departing traffic. For those that haven’t been to Calvi, it’s in the middle of a horse shoe valley with 3000ft mountains surrounding it and flown at 1700ft QNH. I said yes I’ll extend but can only go as far as the “BIG MOUNTAINS” at the end!!! I turned base just after my G1000 PFD went red and started screaming “TERRIAN TERRAIN PULL UP PULL UP”

EGBE (COVENTRY, UK)

We had a really great EuroGA fly-in at Calvi in September 2014. This was despite getting screwed by the French fuel people being on strike, so participants had to stop all over the place to get fuel. We got it at Albenga, wasting several hours due to the glacial speed there.

I just wondered if Calvi did something to that sand-covered parking space.

I still plan to drop into Bolzano next time I am passing by – possibly on the way back from the Greek fly-in in 2 weeks’ time. I do detect from the airport’s communications (emails and notams) that they are doing all they can to block people getting avgas via the aeroclub. It may simply be that people are “taxiing to the aeroclub” to avoid the handling charge; that is a standard thing in GA everywhere. The airport does’t itself sell avgas so they are not losing any money there. IMHO not selling avgas is dumb of a GA airport but somebody made the decision to not sell it…

Administrator

Peter wrote:

What is the apron like nowadays?

Same old crappy apron. I had a refueling stop there mid-July but arranged to park on the Business Aviation parking which is tarmac.

It was on a very windy day with gusty south-westerly wind. The landing was challenging and the take-off was hair-rising. Avoid on windy days.

LFPT, LFPN

What was the extra cost of hard parking at Calvi? I recall that as an option from 2014, but nobody seemed to really know… It’s worth paying 20-30 quid extra for, for avoiding getting crap all over the plane. Clearly the two Jetprops which were parked there got it somehow and they are “single engine”

Administrator
Sign in to add your message