Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ADF and European Navigation

Good Morning. As an American, I am contemplating a new plane, the Cessna JTA, and may have an interest in flying it to Europe, et al and was wondering if it might be advisable to get the ADF option installed. And I thank Peter for introducing me to your site where I can learn more about Europe GA.

Sam Ferguson
KOCF , United States

Within the rather substantial ticket price of a new aircraft the option of an ADF is not such a big deal.

In theory you need an ADF in Europe if you wish to fly approaches which use NDB's , even as part of the procedure, and it will be a plus point if you ever wish to sell the aircraft in the future. Parts of the world are even more backward than Europe (hard to believe I know) and rely extensively on NDB approaches.

I would add it to the order if it were mine

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

IMO not worth the expenditure.

Croatia still has quite a few NDB's but elsewhere they're in rapid decline.

DME is the more useful option, many approaches explicitly require DME, and at least for EASA reg substitution of DME distance with GPS distance is (still) not allowed

My aircraft does have an ADF receiver, and I'm not going to uninstall it as long as it works, but I wouldn't consider installing one if I hadn't one.

LSZK, Switzerland

Interesting bit of information on DME. I just assumed that GPS could be substituted. That's offered as an option too, but surprisingly a bit more expensive.

Sam Ferguson
KOCF , United States

For visiting Europe I wouldn't bother. To be based and possibly selling here, it might be worth adding.

EGTK Oxford

That's offered as an option too, but surprisingly a bit more expensive.

That option probably exists for European customers only, that's why it's more expensive 8-)

LSZK, Switzerland

Makes sense only if you plan to register it in Europe. Other than that: you will never need it. Not woth the (lot of) money.

I don't think an ADF is a lot of money when you are spending over $500,000 on a new aeroplane.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

The short answer is that an ADF is a legal requirement in Europe, for flying NDB approaches, of which there are many, all over the place. Southern Europe has loads but even the UK has plenty of NDBs used in approaches.

In reality people fly them using the GPS (OBS mode usually), and there is no known enforcement. Most SR22s flying in Europe don't have an ADF or DME...

You must have an ADF and DME in a plane used for the EASA IR initial test (in the UK, for sure).

Europe has no US-style GPS substitution rule for ADF etc.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I don't think an ADF is a lot of money

But it's useless weight and drag you always carry around

LSZK, Switzerland
52 Posts
Sign in to add your message