Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ADL / Golze satellite weather system

Some progress with the ADL200 radar data on the IFD540 and EX5000:

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Is it possible to display the weather on the EX5000 also without an IFD?

P19 EDFE EDVE EDDS

This is why it’s a pity the Aero Expo is cancelled.

Does the ADL200 also display traffic on the 540 ? I might need to adapt my order then.

EBST, Belgium

It would be great to organise a meet-up at which Sebastian could give a presentation on this capability.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Do it by Skype

EGTF, LFTF

Sebastian_G wrote:

Some progress with the ADL200 radar data on the IFD540 and EX5000:

@Sebastian_G, is the IFD wx displayed coming from the ADL200 via hardwired connection or via wifi?

LSZK, Switzerland

I made a video showing the details, just have to get that edited. But to answer a few questions:

Is it possible to display the weather on the EX5000 also without an IFD?

Yes the ADL device is feeding the weather via RS232 to both devices IFD540 and EX5000 independently. So it should also work with the classic EX5000 + GNS430/530 or EX5000 + GTN650/750 installations.
This also means if you want weather on an IFD540 and IFD440 the RS232 feed has to be split and wired to both devices. Apparently so far the weather wil not cross feed between them.

is the IFD wx displayed coming from the ADL200 via hardwired connection or via wifi?

The ADL200 is feeding the data to the IFD540 and EX5000 via a RS232 wire.

Does the ADL200 also display traffic on the 540

In general yes. In the installation shown above there is an active traffic system, so it will take the traffic from there but below a picture I got from a customer. In this installation below the IFD540 takes the ADS-B traffic from the ADL device:

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Is the RS232 unidirectional?

If so, one can feed as many devices as one likes, subject to the drive capability of the RS232 driver (which depends to some extent on the chip used in the ADL).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

On the IFD540 it will also display the METAR and TAF as shown below. On the EX5000 so far no text weather messages. Actually it should also display something but I have to ask Avidyne why it does not show up even though it gets the exact same signal as the IFD540.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Peter wrote:

Is the RS232 unidirectional?

If so, one can feed as many devices as one likes, subject to the drive capability of the RS232 driver (which depends to some extent on the chip used in the ADL).

The GDL90 weather feed is indeed RS232 unidirectional. So in real life it can probably feed 5 to 10 devices if that is required. There is a RS232 return with the current flight plan from the IFD (or GNS or GTN). Obviously that can only come from one source. If you want to run the RS232 weather output and RS232 flight plan input at the same time, as in the installation shown above, you will need one of the ADLRS232 combiner/baud rate converters to make it work:
http://www.ing-golze.de/products_accessories.jsp

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ
Sign in to add your message