Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ADS-B technology and compatibility (merged thread)

The parts cost of say a GTX330 is c. $200… no point in saving a little bit of money on that.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

CS-STAN Issue 3 has a concession that you can use a non-WAAS/EGNOS GPS as the position source.

Where is this concession applicable? It does say the transponder manufacturer needs to support it. It would seem to me that most certified ADS-B OUT products will simply not work with this.

Does it mean that if you use e.g. a GNS430 or a KLN94 as the position source, you get SIL=3 data coming out and thus you will be visible on certified ADS-B IN displays?

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Does it mean that if you use e.g. a GNS430 or a KLN94 as the position source, you get SIL=3 data coming out and thus you will be visible on certified ADS-B IN displays?

The Standard Change does say that in this case the installation should set SIL=3.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Peter wrote:

Peter,

SIL = 0 is not displayed on certified ADS-B displays, but any non zero SIL is allowed. SIL = 3 and SDA = 2 iplus a bunch of other requirements are needed in the US for access to ADS-B Out rule airspace. SIL and SDA are not involved with a portable ADS-B In system.

KUZA, United States

2Airborne_Again wrote:

The Standard Change does say that in this case the installation should set SIL=3

This is incorrect. With an un-approved GPS source, the SIL must be set to zero:

This SC addresses three cases:

• Configuration 1: an ADS-B OUT system that conforms to AMC 20-244;
  • Configuration 2: an ADS-B OUT system with an ETSO-C199() GNSS position source;
  • Configuration 3: an ADS-B OUT system with a GNSS position source that is not approved.

Note: The aircraft identified in the applicability/eligibility section of this SC do not need to comply with Commission Implementing Regulation (EU) No 1207/2011 or its later amendments. Consequently, they do not need to satisfy the requirements set by CS-ACNS Subpart D Section 4 ‘1090 MHz Extended Squitter ADS-B Out’.
The likelihood of erroneous data being transmitted to ADS-B ground stations and to other aircraft is defined by quality indicators.

• Configuration 1 installation provides quality indicators according to the principles that are defined in AMC 20-24 while controlling the latency through a direct connection between the transponder and the GNSS position source.
  • Configuration 2 installation provides quality indicators that are defined in ETSO-C199.
  • Configuration 3 sets the quality indicators to zero (0). Operators of aeroplanes fitted with a configuration 3 installation are expected to use the system for traffic awareness only. Equipment emitting with quality indicators that are set to 0 might not be seen by other aircraft systems or by ATC.
Last Edited by wigglyamp at 11 Feb 13:27
Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

The Standard Change does say that in this case the installation should set SIL=3.

That’s really interesting. Which transponder manufacturers are supporting this?

The end result could be obtained by building a protocol converter which converts a non WAAS GPS data stream into a WAAS one. Such a product would be illegal to install, however And you would have to reverse engineer the Garmin WAAS data stream…

Just seen wigglyamp’s post above…

With an un-approved GPS source

Is that simply non-WAAS?

Administrator

For some reason I can’t get a part of the CS to post when i cut and paste. it should include this line:

Configuration 3: an ADS-B OUT system with a GNSS position source that is not approved

[ fixed, I think… I removed some strange characters and added blank lines and bullet points ]

Avionics geek.

Peter wrote:

Is that simply non-WAAS?

This is a GPS that doesn’t meet TSO C199 (a TABS device) or TSO C146 such as a GNS-W, GTN or IFD (all of which are WAAS).

Avionics geek.

I googled on TABS and it appears to be the Trig TN72. That will work only with Trig transponders.

Administrator

wigglyamp wrote:

This is incorrect. With an un-approved GPS source, the SIL must be set to zero:

This SC addresses three cases:

Configuration 1: an ADS-B OUT system that conforms to AMC 20-244;

Peter wasn’t referring to unapproved GPS sources but certified non-SBAS IFR GPS sources such as the GNS430.

As I understand AMC 20-24, ETSO C-129A or TSO C-129(A) GPS sources can be used for “configuration 1”. The GNS430 conforms to TSO C-129A.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
Sign in to add your message