Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ADS-B - what practical relevance in Europe?

The latest software revision can give you the location of plain Mode-S via multilateration

The OGN sees Mode-S and retransmits it.

How do you get the data into an airborne aircraft?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

OGN is an extended network of transmitters, no ?

EBST, Belgium

The OGN transmits the data. For example, on my trip on the Bank Holiday, I could see the gliding activity on PilotAware retransmitted by the Long Mynd OGN-R site. They transmit it on 869.5 MHz.

Last Edited by alioth at 28 Aug 12:40
Andreas IOM

What is the business model for these free UAT transmissions?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

360Radar is by subscription and pays for some of the MLAT stations used (similar model to what FR24 does) and feeds into OGN.
Glider clubs voluntarily install the OGN-R stations out of self-interest.
PilotAware is by subscription and uses some of the money to fund PilotAware OGN-R stations.

The hardware is also very low cost. An OGN-R base station needs about £200 worth of hardware. I’m thinking about installing one at Andreas (with the complication it’ll be off the grid).

Last Edited by alioth at 28 Aug 12:58
Andreas IOM

alioth wrote:

The latest software revision can give you the location of plain Mode-S via multilateration and the OGN

So as devil’s in the details, to be pedantic and complete, it should read:
The latest software revision can give you the location of plain Mode-S as long as you are within range of a OGN-R tranceiver and the Mode-S target is high enough/in an aera with enough 360Radar receiver.

Nympsfield, United Kingdom

Alioth.

Can’t you talk the authorities to put the station on the top of the mountain, the coverage would be superb !

I fly VFR only.
Is there any point in upgrading a transponder in order to be able to see VFR traffic?
I mean, how much GA traffic am I likley to see in terms of percentage?
I’ve been offered a GTX345 to replace my 327 which would allow me to display traffic on my panel but can’t decide, even if there is a significant saving to be had over a new unit, whether it’s going to be worth the bother.

Forever learning
EGTB

Stickandrudderman wrote:

I’ve been offered a GTX345 to replace my 327 which would allow me to display traffic on my panel but can’t decide, even if there is a

If they prices is good – why not? GTX 345 adds both IN and OUT, so even if you have a limited use of IN (because many GA aircraft use uncertified OUT), OUT is still good.
Otherwise – no point…

EGTR

I don’t know much about the ADS-B situation in the UK (or in Europe), but In crowded airspace it’s a fantastic tool. Has saved my life once for sure, possibly twice.

Sign in to add your message