Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Advice for a trip Eindhoven (EHEH) - Southampton (EGHI)

Hi everyone,

I have a flight coming up in early July, to Southampton from Eindhoven. It’ll be my first time flying VFR in the UK. Do you guys have any tips for me, things to look out for?

Thanks,

Nick

EHTE, Netherlands

You want to stay overnight?

AFAIR, if you want to stay overnight, generally, it is with Signature and they charge you quite royally then, however, I have heard that light GA can now sort of “deal” with them. So probably worth a couple of phone calls, first to Southampton airside operations, and then to Signature, pointing out that you want to go “as bare as possible” concerning handling.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I’m still considering whether to stay overnight or not: thing is, it’s a three hour flight, no wind, so flying in in the morning (ETD 10:00 local), and back in the evening (ETA 22:00 local) is not something I’m completely confident about, single pilot at least.

So it’s either an overnight stay, or with a safety pilot. Problem with that is, that due to M&B, he/she cannot be heavier than about 70-75 kg…

EHTE, Netherlands

A year or two ago I had emails with the Southampton business development manager who was concerned about negative publicity on pilot forums (not this one but one UK site notorious for that sort of thing). He was looking at improving GA access. So I would give the airport a call; things may have changed recently. I do know that historically they had very limited parking.

This is a useful site for UK enroute notams; use it to check for anything serious along your route.

Otherwise, the UK is dead easy. Most of it is Class G. Just call up London Info FIS 124.60 when you hit UK airspace.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Otherwise, the UK is dead easy. Most of it is Class G. Just call up London Info FIS 124.60 when you hit UK airspace.

I understand from other posts that London Info doesn’t provide traffic information. Then what’s the point of being in contact with them unless you want to ask something specific?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I recommend calling Southampton Operations as soon as possible. I think it is possible to obtain less expensive self-handling with the airport operator; however, it seems like they have a ‘limited’ number of spots (first come first served?). When I called last month, the airport operator claimed to have no availability and referred me to Signature. I don’t recall the quote from Signature exactly, but it was in the order of £200 to £300 to make a brief stop and pick up a friend. This was for a single engine propeller aircraft (Yak 18t).

I ended up going through ‘Lee on Solent’ (EGHF) and it was approximately £25.

Good luck!

Last Edited by Canuck at 11 Jun 09:38
Sans aircraft at the moment :-(, United Kingdom

Last Sunday, I asked London info for a handover to ostend approach. So for requests it is nice tot be in contact, also when you cross the sea, if something happens. They pass the regional or london qnh, to stay out of controlled zone.. So, happy tot be in contact.

Vie
EBAW/EBZW

Yes personally if flying in VFR, I would go to Lee-on-Solent.

EGTK Oxford

I understand from other posts that London Info doesn’t provide traffic information.

Correct; they do have radar (as of a few years ago, with the rise in serious CAS busts) but not being radar qualified ATCOs (who cost too much for the UK system ) they are not allowed to say so on the radio.

Then what’s the point of being in contact with them unless you want to ask something specific?

Only because

• you have someone to call in case of a mayday
  • if you bust CAS, London Info will call you and ask you to check your navigation (carefully avoiding saying they can actually see you ) and in some cases will hand you over to a radar unit – e.g. Farnborough – for “more detailed CAS avoidance instructions”
  • in VFR, you are supposed to call up the regional FIS frequency when you initially cross the border to another country

The last point is not apparently enforced. My guess is that the division of the RAF – was the Fighter Command in the 1960s and before – responsible for monitoring for hostile traffic are not bothered about a 100-150kt target, especially if they have a matching flight plan for it (IBM sells special software for this type of task – I recall seeing a sales brochure for it). So you could just fly into UK airspace and make Southampton (or whatever) your first radio call, and many people, myself included, do that all the time when e.g. returning from say Le Touquet. But it isn’t “proper”

Also, my guess (for which I have zero evidence) is that doing that may increase the chances of you getting a meeting with the police after you land (don’t forget the GAR form for any flight into the UK; 4hrs’ notice needed from the EU and that assumes all on board are EU citizens) because they get tips from various places.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The main advantage of going to Southampton direct is the ability to get either a train or a hire car for onward transport, but parking is indeed very limited. Bournemouth have more parking and might work out cheaper. If you do need a car, the U-Drive ‘depot’ at Bournemouth is on the GA handling side of the airport. If you go for one of the large rental companies you would have a fair walk around the perimeter to get to the main terminal. If you need any more information, let me know as Bournemouth is my home base and Lee, Southampton are home territory.

EGBP, United Kingdom
23 Posts
Sign in to add your message