Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Advice on stopover in Spain on the way to Marrakech?

Hi all, I had picked Jerez but am now scrambling to change due to bad PIREP.
Any ideas? We need AVGAS (lots…) and EU-exit to non Schengen.
Staying one night, so some touristic value is desirable! Muchas Gracias!

LSGG, LFEY, Switzerland

Hi Flyingfish
Cuatros Vientos LECU is nice. No handling required.
PPR 48h for custom the email is on the AIP.

Have a nice flight
Regards

LFPT Pontoise, LFPB

Thank you Romain!

LSGG, LFEY, Switzerland

Try Granada (LEGR), it’s a ‘port of entry’ and cheap (at least used to be) and most likely on your route. If you’re staying the night, the city is beautiful (do beware pickpockets, though), but quite a way from the airport, IIRC about 20kms. The Alhambra is probably the most important Moorish monument in Spain, definitely worth a visit!! If you decide to visit the Alhambra, they operate a slot system for tourists (yes, really!), to avoid overcrowding. I haven’t been in a few years, but I’m sure you’ll find the info on their website.

I would avoid LEMG (depending if you’re VFR or IFR and aircraft type they may not let you in at all) and LEZL.

In any case check NOTAMs for possible SEP restrictions (if that’s what you fly).

+1 for LEGR. We‘ve been there last week and it’s still one of the most GA friendly of the AENA airports (i.e. the ones with customs/immigration). However, you will have to contract handling for flights from/to outside Schengen, it‘s in the AIP. We have also used LEZL and LEAM from/to Morocco years ago, but I would recommend LEGR.

EDFM (Mannheim), Germany

LEGR is good, for the city and especially the Alhambra. Writeup from 2008 here and I think the cost has gone up a lot but still ok against the “avgas cost landscape” especially if you haggle with the handler and demand “minimum handling” like we did on the Menorca fly-in.

The “Port of entry” concept is not really operated as such in Europe (the AIP will say if “police” or “immigration” are available and if so on what terms) except Greece which uses it formally, having signed Schengen and then disregarded it.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

We bought fuel in La Juliana, LEJU last week, it was 2.60€ per liter. This field is a little south of Seville. Landing and parking (hangarage) is cheap, but radio is A/C to A/C in Spanish and I don’t think you could arrange immigration/customs there.

This aerodrome is not in the Jepp data bases but SD knows it.

Last Edited by terbang at 23 May 07:45
EDFM (Mannheim), Germany

I couldn’t say LEZL is GA friendly, but it’s perfectly doable. Landing fee roughly 20 euros, opening hours very good, and restaurants (although expensive for Spain). AVGAS 2.47 euros/l 2 weeks ago.
For any non schengen flight, handling is mandatory. See AOPA Spain website for advice.
Be sure you have yellow jackets for all crew and passengers.

Caen LFRK, France

thanks all ! going to LEJR on way out after all – will report back.

LSGG, LFEY, Switzerland

LEJT was great except for refueling. The fuel truck came late and we waited almost an hour because they have you filll a form, and then they key it into a small portable terminal – takes forever…
Fuel was 1.63 plus VAT.
Bruno from handling did a super job at taking us around for all of the stamps and paperwork. W
Overall happy. Now looking for a stopover on the way back from Fes… LEGR maybe…

LSGG, LFEY, Switzerland
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message