Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Advice on the process of buying an airplane!!

ABCD wrote:

Also regarding Insurance, should I search for a company in Sweden or any European insurance company will work??

Any European insurance company will definitely work.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I have received a price of 250 Euros a month to have it under a camo program at local airport.

What exactly do they do for this €3000/year?

Any European insurance company will definitely work.

IME few companies do light GA insurance outside their own country. Almost none of the UK based ones do. I once asked every insurer at Aero EDNY and none of them would touch a UK based plane.

Of course the coverage is valid for flying into many countries, as per the policy.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

3000€ a year just for the basic CAMO oversight? That’s mad, I would say.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Peter wrote:

What exactly do they do for this €3000/year?

I think this is the key question when you will compare others as well. A proper CAMO can save your money. You can use any CAMO from any country, though a local one might be more suiteable with respect to national regulations. Some have a fixed pricing, others have pricing per inspection, and charge a fee for setup maintenance program, and setup cardex with them. It is too easy just to say this is to expensive.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

Hmmm, this is a plane, not the space shuttle.

Maintenance (working out what needs doing; a CAMO doesn’t actually “do” any actual work) is not a difficult thing.

You don’t need to pay 3k to somebody to keep track of what needs doing – unless the EASA66 guys in the hangar are totally stupid and useless and want to take the plane to bits, throw half the bits away and replace them, and put it all back together, and then yes paying somebody 3k to stop them throwing half the bits away (and only throw say 10% of the bits away) will save you money

If a 3k CAMO can pay for itself, someone should be able to post a real life case study.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

IME few companies do light GA insurance outside their own country. Almost none of the UK based ones do. I once asked every insurer at Aero EDNY and none of them would touch a UK based plane.

Well… All my club aircraft are insured in Denmark.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I forgot to inform that the CAMO is owned by the flight school and if the da42 I buy is under their camo they will consider rent my airplane.

Also they offered me insurance price for 600 euros a month.

Your comments are really appreciated. Just don’t want to get screwed.

ESGT/ESGP, Sweden

I would get alternative insurance quotes… I was paying £6k 10 years ago for “club use” which was any number of un-named pilots, with just PPLs. Hull value agreed at 195k.

Be very careful with renting your plane to a school. This is a really big topic. Been there, done that, nearly got burnt. It can work but basically the plane will get shagged. Also schools are generally very clever in getting novice aircraft owners to rent them planes under very favourable terms. It can work if the planes will be used only for dual training i.e. an instructor always present, but then the school will later say they are not getting the expected utilisation because self fly hire is not allowed.

Administrator

@ABCD
I would recommend to not buy such an expensive a/c without WAAS and the GFC700 autopilot.

600€/month for insurance is high because they want a “Club” use with many pilots insure.
We pay 4000 per year for our 2007 DA42…

Romain

LFPT Pontoise, LFPB
Sign in to add your message