Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Advice please on a Scottish trip

I am planning going from Shoreham, around the northern coast of Scotland, and back to Shoreham.

Probably, the initial leg would be IFR, and straight up to Oban for some juice and an overnight stop. Then, VFR low level around the coast, clockwise, and back to Shoreham down the east coast of England the UK.

I wonder if anybody has any great ideas for a scenic route, other than what I was going to do which was to just follow the coast and see what it looks like.

Obviously this will need perfect weather – a rare thing up there.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

A Scottish trip…great. Oban, for fuel etc, but I would stay the night on Mull, at the Glenforsa Hotel. A 5 minute flight from Oban. Then from Glenforsa, route up to Plockton, nice lunch there, then up to Ullapool, cut over to Inverness, down the Great Glen, to Glendoe, over to Dundee, then route St Abbs, Newcastle, (back in the England then, sorry the lower half of the UK), Humberside, and at that point it all opens up. Dates????

The north gets quite flat, better to see the mountains, West Coast, and Central. Enjoy!!

There is also a longer Plockton/Wick/Inverness, then back down. Weather though…..it is supposed to be summer!!

Last Edited by BeechBaby at 18 May 10:22
Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

I’m planning the same thing! Subscribing to this thread!

Spending too long online
EGTF Fairoaks, EGLL Heathrow, United Kingdom

Dare we attempt a meet for some lunch/dinner…….

EGPF Glasgow

We were planning much the same for the coming weekend but the weather does not look brilliant. Best food in Oban is at EE Usk.

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

How about a night at Glenforsa and a night at Sumburgh?

Spending too long online
EGTF Fairoaks, EGLL Heathrow, United Kingdom

For me, for complicated reasons with a passenger, the round trip mentioned above will possibly have to be a weekend and it will have to be the one of 13 June, or a later one.

However I can fly up to Oban myself “anytime” for a meet-up. It’s about 3hrs each way. I have never been up there, to land, GA. I have been to Aberdeen but that’s the other side. And then done Ireland a few times.

I would want a hard runway and avgas. I have done loads of grass and prefer to avoid it unless I have been there on the ground beforehand. Min tarmac is 500m.

The wx would need to be nice, otherwise it’s not worth doing because there won’t be any scenery – other than what you bring with you

Administrator

For what it’s worth, we’re planning to go to the fly in at Glenforsa this coming weekend. Weather permitting, we’ll fly up on Sunday, return Monday. We’ll be staying overnight at Glenforsa. Fingers crossed the weather plays ball!

UK, United Kingdom

Glenforsa is grass, 700mts roughly. Oban, tarmac, 1264 mts, Plockton, tight at just over 620, tarmac. Only AVGAS on that trip is Oban.

EGPF Glasgow

Glenforsa fly-in website ?

I get a little concerned that almost every plane in their photos is a taildragger

Administrator
13 Posts
Sign in to add your message