Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Aero Expo Friedrichshafen EDNY 18-21 April 2018

OK, I will have a VFR chart running anyway so can stay outside CAS. Many thanks.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Btw, sent you a separate e-mail as well.

Wolfgang

EGTF, EGLK, United Kingdom

The only controlled airspace you need to worry about would be Friedrichshafen CTR itself and then Stuttgart class D but I suspect you will certainly have an IFR clearance by then.

Wolfgang

EGTF, EGLK, United Kingdom

It worked out OK. I got cleared for takeoff, departed to VFR “N” as per the AIP supplement, climbing 2700ft (to avoid the 3000ft traffic). They refused to give me the next frequency, and when I asked for the next frequency on which to get the IFR clearance they just told me No IFR pickup for 25 miles (i.e. get stuffed). However I had various frequencies written down from the flight there e.g. Swiss, the last Langen Radar one, etc and called them up and got a “climb VFR” to FL090 with the IFR pickup at FL090. Nobody mentioned any 25nm rule.

Administrator

I went IFR in and VFR-IFR (Z) back home. The most perfect wx imaginable, except a lot of haze. I did a movie of the flight, only to find the camera was never running! I had not used it for 6 months and forgot the procedure. The arrival was totally smooth, with vectors to the ILS very competently done by Swiss. The departure was planned for Sunday but with wx moving in at the UK end I decided to depart Saturday pm but of course you could not buy a slot, so I departed VFR and picked up IFR shortly afterwards. Departure taxi/wait time was about 15 mins which is much less than in say 2008 when it would be almost an hour. Much less traffic generally… On the way back I got huge shortcuts, especially one from somewhere in Germany all the way to KOK i.e. right across Belgium, at FL120, about 200nm.

A few pics:

Hazy departure and flight

Vectors to the ILS

Parked

View from the restaurant at Hagnau

Lots of these around

Vineyards

Lots of these about

A curious small turboprop

The more usual exhibits

A number of electric systems

This Rotax is using the Denso alternator used here which is curious since it doesn’t develop much useful power until you are in cruise. Are all Rotax aircraft like this?

Yet another engine

EDNY gets a lot of airline traffic and ATC has no issues mixing it up

My old tablet running an old moving map, and the Golze android app displaying ADL150 data

Lots of this, with tops ~FL120 and -3C, so I had a play with the TKS system again

Nearly home – the N coast of Belgium

Glonass is clearly non-functional, on the Aera 660 at least

The newly refurbished hangar at Shoreham

Flights on FR24. Big shortcut from Germany all the way to KOK at FL120

I posted some “highlights” here.

Administrator
75 Posts
Sign in to add your message