Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Aero/Friedrichshafen 2013

After about 100 attempts I got through...

I don't think many people are getting through because I got a 1200-1220 UTC IFR slot, Friday. With the previous web booking system, those were gone very fast.

No slot required for a Sunday departure.

I asked for IFR and they asked for the aircraft type but didn't appear to check the weight etc.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

this time Peter was faster....I get through as well ;-). There are obviously two guys in the room sharing a single sheet of paper for every day. I spend a minute waiting for the other guy to hand over the Friday paper to the lady I was speaking to...no problem to get IFR slot, no questions on weight (of the aircraft) asked

LKKU, LKTB

What is the cost of employing two Germans for a few weeks, compared to the cost of knocking up a booking website?

In the earlier years, they sold slots by Paypal. I thought that was highly innovative.

Administrator

You got the slot you wanted and you can fly IFR. That is quite an improvement over the last year, isn't it?

And the internet is overrated, a temporary phenomenon like the motor cars and computers.

One of the (several) reasons I got kicked off the Socata owners' group was because I enjoyed leaving out smilies, to see who falls for it

Once I wrote that I fly 30% over MTOW because the resulting useful increase in Va makes the plane flyable faster in turbulence.

Administrator

Looking for guidance on my route (thinking) EGCJ (Sherburn, Northern England) to EDNY.

I have IMCr, but clearly this will be VFR trip.

PA28 Warror (105kts) which will 'run dry' at about 5 hours.

So get into Germany ASAP (3 hours or so) and clear customs and refuel at 'one stop'.

So thinking (with a wish to keep flying time to a minimum):-

EGCJ - EDLN - EDNY

These will all be DCT - so long water X from EGCJ !!

Haven't a clue what I'm letting myself in for at EDLN (Monchengladbach) !! but it seems in the right place and reports to have Customs and 100LL.

Too big, too expensive ? They may not even want me.

I've done Berlin-Tempelhof and LFDS Sarlot - Domme in the Dordogne previously. So a bit of Euro flying.

Small concern about 3200' ground NW of EDNY if clouds don't behave.

If anybody has time/would rather e-mail me I'm [email protected]

Thanks in anticipation.

Regret no current medical
Was Sandtoft EGCF, North England, United Kingdom

Mönchengladbach has - for various reasons, a very poor reputation among GA pilots in Germany. But the fees aren't really bad for an IFR regional airport. Expect 20 Euros for the Warrrior.

Anyway, I would plan my fuel stop in eastern France rather than western Germany, because of the price differential for Avgas (~2,25 vs. ~2,70€). Distance flown should be about equal. Only downside is the horrible airspace structure in eastern France, but, as you will know, it is really not so bad in practice. Plus, I don't seem to find a good place in eastern France that still has customs for you. So, you might consider a short stop at Calais for customs, then fly on to somwhere in the Charleville area for fuel, then on to EDNY.

Otherwise, the "german" route is fine, as well.

The most direct one though would seem to be straight through Belgium. Not impossible either. Now that it has apparently reopened, you might consider Spa. I don't think they have have customs, though. Avgas prices in Belgium are more in line with the german price then with the french price. Luxemburg has fuel at french prices, but fees are expensive.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

But in case you still want to go to Germany for then fuel stop, I have found regional airports in Germany to be very good. Don't know EDLN though.

EGTK Oxford

Didn't know fuel was cheaper in France. A serious consideration.

However, what happens with customs?

Would I 'clear' into France when collecting fuel and THEN have to 'clear' again into Germany at EDNY.

Sorry, this might be a bit basic, but not done a lot of this sort of thing.

Appreciated those quick response at #37 & #38.

Or, if I stay 'air-side' in France maybe I don't need to 'clear customs', just fly on with my full tanks to EDNY and 'clear' into Germany only.

Or can I enter Europe anyway for Customs (France, Belgium, Germany etc.) then I'm free to go where I like?

Sign in to add your message