Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Aero L - 29 "Delfín" - your personal light jet fighter for 90k?

The L29 is actually a pretty rugged device that apparently requires relatively little routine service, and as I understood it from the owner of the one I pictured it’s not anything like a old fighter in terms of demanding pilot skill. The thing that struck me about it was the really modest climb angle, a little scary to watch on takeoff, and of course the huge amount of fuel burned and heat generated. I don’t know whether the FBO ever fixed the asphalt torn up by jet blast.

The L39s and similar Marchetti appear to be much higher performing planes, but sell for many times as much. Several operate from my base.

Two of these were lost in a hangar fire here last fall, together with two Yaks.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

A while ago I compared various old jet trainers in terms of total cost per flying hour. It looks like the least expensive one would be Fouga Magister, also known as IAI Tzukit.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

A while ago I compared various old jet trainers in terms of total cost per flying hour. It looks like the least expensive one would be Fouga Magister, also known as IAI Tzukit

I guess it’s still over 1000 €/hour?

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

Ultranomad wrote:

A while ago I compared various old jet trainers in terms of total cost per flying hour. It looks like the least expensive one would be Fouga Magister, also known as IAI Tzukit.

Does that include noise related fines? There’s one local to me that used to fly but doesn’t anymore. Outrageously loud.

Silvaire wrote:

There’s one local to me that used to fly but doesn’t anymore. Outrageously loud.

Too loud in the United States? Then it must be really, really loud Many years ago I saw the Patrouille de France performing in Fouga Magisters. Compared to the other jets of that time (e.g. the Frecce Tricolori had Fiat G91s then and there was a four-aircraft formation of F-104s from the Italian Airforce) I don’t remember them to be any louder than the others.

EDDS - Stuttgart

I recall once reading that the French Navy Aéronavale were very keen to get rid of their Vought F-8 Crusaders because in the later part of their operational life the aircraft required 50 hours of maintenance for every flight hour. Ouch!

EGTT, The London FIR

what_next wrote:

Too loud in the United States? Then it must be really, really loud

The local Fouga had no operational issues with the noise of Marboré engines, but they were extremely loud, an unusual high pitched shriek. Like many cheap jets, I think it flew for a while then the owner had spent enough on fuel, and since then it’s been sitting unflown.

I believe the Cessna T-37 used the same (Turbomeca derived) engines built under license in the US, and as a result of their noise earned the ironic nickname ‘Tweety Bird’.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 15 Jun 18:47

There used to be a bunch of Morane Paris Jets around, one was based at ZRH for a while. Those Marboré engines have a very unpleasant sound, maybe not in DB but the way they do sound. I can’t see anyone flying these things in Europe, at least not north of the Alps….

I know a few people who are involved in flying the Hunters and Vampires ex Swiss Air Force, they are a very professional outfit. All pilots flying those are former military pilots who used to fly them in active service, most are senior commanders with the local airlines. While their currency may not be that great, their overall experience is very high indeed. I don’t think that they train anyone who has no military experience on those and if they do, they make a very thorough job out of it.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Hi

What is the requirements to get a L-29/L-39 type rating on EASA license?
I have a ICAO license at the moment with YAK-52 on license and will be emigrating to EU early next year and would wish to buy a L-29.
Still need to do the conversion training.

How about the other type aircraft ie YAK-52?

Paul

Wonderboom, South Africa
Sign in to add your message