Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Aero L - 29 "Delfín" - your personal light jet fighter for 90k?

LeSving wrote:

Old military jets are nothing like a homebuilts in this respect. In fact any old military plane that doesn’t have a civilian equivalent is a special case. Purely case by case, trip by trip.

This year Farnborough 2018, there was a rumor that an F15E was kicked out from the airshow as not having mode-S

Many old military jets with EU states of Design fall under Annex II rules and can be flown with PtF, which tends to get “auto-accepted” by other sates, so I guess for a flight from UK to France you just need CAA/DGAC approval emails (much difficult than if you fly on Cub/Jodel or microlight…but in the same spirit), of course you may have to comply with a bunch of local aerodrome restrictions if the thing has an afterburner

The list of Annex II is here, actually it includes L-29:
https://www.easa.europa.eu/sites/default/files/dfu/certification-faq-docs-annex_II_01_Jan_2010.pdf Local Copy

For exotic stuff (e.g. SR71-blackbird ), I guess they have to be decided case by case but Annex 2 scope is fairly exhaustive for first star, also “EASA”, “Annex2”, “Home-built”, “PtF”, “CoFA”, “Non-Certified/Experimental” are very mixed up that one has to seek technical expertise of LAA, BMAA, BGA, NAAs, in the other hand onex-military stuffs no one knows but if you get an email with yes go for it, if it is less than 2T you may sign it yourself

Beyond Europe+Annex II, your file will surely stuck at some bureaucrats office even EASA aircrafts on a CoFA get stuck

Last Edited by Ibra at 01 Oct 17:22
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Without an ICAO CofA, it is like a “homebuilt”

Njet. Old military jets are nothing like a homebuilts in this respect. In fact any old military plane that doesn’t have a civilian equivalent is a special case. Purely case by case, trip by trip. The only thing they can be used for “internationally” are airshows, and even then there are problems. We had a big airshow here a few years back. Most planes arrived, but as I remember a Mig and a F-86 were stopped in the Netherlands by a bureaucrat, and couldn’t come.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Wasn’t former Red Arrows pilot Ted Girdler flying an L29 when he sadly lost his life?

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

alioth wrote:

Although there is a wrinkle – an L39 would be “Experimental – Exhibition” and unlike “Experimental – Amateur Built” you’re restricted to a 300nm (IIRC) circle around your home base, except when flying it to and from a place where it is to be exhibited. I think in reality it’s easy enough to arrange some kind of “exhibition” if you want to go outside of your 300nm limit.

This was true, but has not been true for several years. The geographic limitation was removed for newly registered planes and existing planes could apply to have it removed without issue. A guy I knew had an L29 and was unaware of this possibility. After we discussed it, he had the restriction removed before selling the plane.

alioth wrote:

When I was based at Galveston Scholes, I think there was an L29 based there at the time. It seemed like a bit of a ground gripper to me, needing most of the longest runway.

L29s climb very slowly until they get up to speed, very shallow initial angle of climb. I always think of flat Eastern European military airports (DDR, Poland etc) when seeing one climb out from a more confined space, turning to maintain best terrain clearance.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 01 Oct 14:40

alioth wrote:

When I was based at Galveston Scholes, I think there was an L29 based there at the time. It seemed like a bit of a ground gripper to me, needing most of the longest runway.

This is true. You really need 5000ft+ as the brakes are not great for such a heavy aircraft and it is slow to accelerate.

Last Edited by JasonC at 01 Oct 12:27
EGTK Oxford

Peter wrote:

In the USA it is very different because you would have it on the Experimental regime and can fly anywhere.

Although there is a wrinkle – an L39 would be “Experimental – Exhibition” and unlike “Experimental – Amateur Built” you’re restricted to a 300nm (IIRC) circle around your home base, except when flying it to and from a place where it is to be exhibited. I think in reality it’s easy enough to arrange some kind of “exhibition” if you want to go outside of your 300nm limit.

Last Edited by alioth at 01 Oct 09:59
Andreas IOM

@MedEwok you probably missed the JetFest2018 at North Weald (EGSX) this weekend with some Vampires, JetProvost and Gnat display team

There was a change in the UK CAA rules that now they can take passengers in their flights, so the prices should go down to 500£/45min on next year flights in JetFest2019

Personally, I find them very slow to F16/Mig25 that you can’t afford and ugly compared to other alternatives that you may afford to fly in CAT/BizJets B737, A320, G600, PC24

Last Edited by Ibra at 01 Oct 09:44
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

What kind of preparation would be required to fly an L39 between two airports in different EU countries at say FL180? Do they need a special permit for every flight?

Without an ICAO CofA, it is like a “homebuilt” so yes you need permits for most countries, plus many in Europe prohibit IFR.

There are parts of Europe where you can do it, especially some parts where nobody cares. If you were to look up certain turboprop homebuilts on FR24 you will get the idea

In the USA it is very different because you would have it on the Experimental regime and can fly anywhere.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@Ultranomad thank you for the info. I just couldn’t find anything searching the web.

Wonderboom, South Africa

We have had a couple of Vampires flying in Sweden(ex Swiss as mentioned earlier in the thread) up until recently, now I think there is one left flying. They seem to be relatively affordable but I guess that is as long as you have maintenance staff that are nostalgic and help out. They have special sound due to the radial compressor.

ESSZ, Sweden
44 Posts
Sign in to add your message