Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Aerobatic PPL

This kind-of follows from the taildragger thread here

Is there such a thing, or do you have to do the full EASA PPL and then an add-on?

What % of PPL students move on to aeros?

Practically all “serious” aero stuff is done in taildraggers.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thanks to some nanny EASA member state(s) we need EASA PPL with aero rating to do aeros in EASA aircraft. For non EASA aircraft, I believe that the relevant UK licences still include aerobatic privileges.

I imagine that about one in ten GA pilots has an aerobatic rating – it’s probably not everyone’s cup of tea.

Basic aeros can be taught in a nosedragger such as a Bulldog or A150. I learned in an FRA150, which is certified for all positive g stuff except stall turns (which, allegedly, it does perfectly well ).

Taildraggers can be a lot of fun, though, even the docile ones like Jodels, Cubs and Maules.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Jacko wrote:

I imagine that about one in ten GA pilots has an aerobatic rating – it’s probably not everyone’s cup of tea.

I’d say much fewer than that, except possibly in Eastern European countries where ab initio training was traditionally done in aerobatic-capable military trainers or similar types (I, for one, got mine in a Yak-52).

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Peter wrote:

What % of PPL students move on to aeros?

Less than one percent around here I would guess. And it has nothing to do with legislation or EASA or anything else. Just money. Capable aerobatic aircraft are terribly expensive to own, operate or hire. A dual 30-minute training sortie on an Extra 300 costs close to 500 Euros in my part of the world… one can get a full week of all-inclusive holidays for less than that. And not-so-capable aerobatic aircraft tend to lose their appeal before people even finish their course.

A former instructor colleague of mine who originally came from Czechoslovakia used to organise training courses there for small groups of pilots. All of them came back disappointed (except from the food-and-beer experience). Every half hour training session consisted of fife minutes of aerobatics and 25 minutes climbing back to a safe altitude. Which seems to be the general way of doing aerobatics in “affordable” aerobatic aircraft. Not one of the pilots who did these courses in Czechoslovakia bothered to get the aerobatic rating entered into his license.

EDDS - Stuttgart

what_next wrote:

A dual 30-minute training sortie on an Extra 300 costs close to 500 Euros in my part of the world

An Extra 300 is a top aerobatics world championship class of aircraft. There are countless other aircraft. Basic aerobatics (aerobatics rating) requires no negative G, no advanced maneuvers, just the basics. It can be done i a C-152 Aerobat or similar (+6, -3 g rated aircraft)

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

It can be done i a C-152 Aerobat or similar (+6, -3 g rated aircraft)

I know. Been there, done it. Climb for ten minutes, do a loop and a barrel roll and back down you are. Every 5-Euro rollercoaster ride offers more thrill than that. And this is why so few people care about this kind of aerobatics (in my opinion). And the interesting kind where you can do three consecutive inverted upward spins is simply out of financial reach for all but some lucky few.

Last Edited by what_next at 22 May 10:40
EDDS - Stuttgart

what_next wrote:

Climb for ten minutes, do a loop and a barrel roll and back down you are.

Well, good enough for me A little bit of gentlemans aerobatics is just fine, and fun. Inverted flat spin could be fun 30 years ago perhaps, but not today. Besides, there are lots of stuff in between. An RV-4 has more than enough power to keep going, even though it’s only +6, -4

This video never goes old :-smile:

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

I agree with @LeSving. With half fuel and an 80 kg pilot the A152 (O-235) or FRA150 (RR O-240) climb just fine and teach proper energy management. They will easily do a roll, a loop, a wing over, a snap, and an Immelmann or half Cuban in 2,000 ft, by which time I’m ready for some straight and level. You can read most of War and Peace while waiting for an aileron roll, but these inexpensive Cessnas do lovely snaps and spins.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

I will check but you need some minimum PIC perhaps before you can apply for the aerobatic rating?

There are some ATOs with Fireflys so in theory you could do your PPL in one, but it would be expensive. They are nose draggers so no need for tailwheel endorsement.

I know of one European airline that is requiring you carry out formal upset recovery training (one week at Goodwood with extensive ground school plus flying in a CE 172, Firefly and Extra 300), before you start your type rating. Presumably in preparation for the new ICAO requirement, although the FAA expects this to be in approved simulators, and an approved course. In theory more wannabes may need to show aerobatic experience as a plus.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

40 hours after obtaining the licence. PIC or not depends on how you read this atrociously written regulation, but given that we have this useless rating requirement at least in part thanks to Germany, where the pre-EASA regs required PIC time, it is safe to say it is PIC time.

Biggin Hill
13 Posts
Sign in to add your message