Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Aerobatic tourers: F33C Yak18T SF260 FW149

I think they are all civilian registered refugees from military programs, with the possible exception of the Beech F33C which might have been developed for the Lufthansa training academy?

Good looking aircraft, but am not sure they ever go upside down that often.

It is a pity they have not built a niche in Europe as IFR upset or unusual attitude trainers. If it was (is?) good for Lufthansa flight crew, there probably is a market niche for an IFR upset training school in Europe? There are a few in the US operating mainly F33C, and possibly some operating the SF260.

Given the interest from the PC12 thread it probably would not be bad insurance for single pilot IFR operators?

The geared Lycoming on the FW/Piaggio 149 might not make it ideal.

Soviet style attitude indicators in the Yak 18T might be culturally challenging, but the school could run them on mogas which might reduce the prodigious fuel bill a bit.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

I think they are all civilian registered refugees from military programs, with the possible exception of the Beech F33C which might have been developed for the Lufthansa training academy?

Don’t think so. Lufthansa used (and still use) only non-aerobatic Bonanzas.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

And then there are the real oddball aircraft like the IAR-823

Last Edited by blueline at 10 Dec 19:55
LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

Bosco Lufthansa used to have F33A, with a specific upset training module in F33C – whether this is still the case I can’t tell you. Have they upgraded to G36 models?

Have found this ppt which suggests that the F33C is still in service as part of the academy, even in the new MPL programme.

Last Edited by RobertL18C at 10 Dec 20:24

Robert, you are right, they seem to have a few F33Cs, but most of them are As for sure.

G36? No. In fact, I can’t see them spending a million for a single engine piston trainer. But upgrading to glass cockpits would make sense sooner or later. I’ll have to ask a friend to see if they have some sort of retrofit glass cockpits in their primary trainers.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
Yak 18 Ts were never run by the military. In fact they have been and still are used for PPL, in the USSR times all Aeroflot pilots were trained in state flight academies from day one. Nowadays you can get full registration in the west , unlimited, apart from non commercial, no annex 2 . What´s wrong with attitude indicators in these Yaks? They are fully aerobatic, 6,5 g ,excellent instruments, with some weight, as it is only a clock driven from a unit in the baggage compartment. We run the 18 T on auto fuel, with extra electric fuel pump for warm weather trouble at full power. You will see about 45 liters per hour at 220 kmh, a bit more if you want to go faster. But who needs that. After all, it is a BIG aircraft, but amazingly aerobatic, see link, father and son Granley in 18 T and 55!! . And a real joy to fly, after that you never look back to a 172. But you will need some dedication for this complex aircraft, for dirty finger types anway. You have to study all systems, i.e. pneumatics for all functions ! Yes, we do get here upset down in times ….. Vic

vic
EDME

And the Saab 91 Safir It is a 3 seat aerobatic trainer. Some 4 seat versions also exist of the Safir. I have to “renew” my aerobatic skills (I have to take a real rating, since my “rating” 20 years ago is not valid anymore according to new rules). This will be done on this aircraft sometime in the spring next year:

It’s a rather cool aircraft. Retractable gear, constant speed propeller. Full IFR (or at least used to be, I think the instruments are way too ancient by today’s standard).

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving, the SAAB Safir at Aero Friedrichshafen last year was one of the more interesting aircraft on display… to me Obviously built like the proverbial brick outhouse, sticks, aerobatic and military style design. I’d love to try one!

I’ve had the opportunity to try some of the others. The SF260 tries hard to fly like a jet, thin wing etc. Not sure that makes for the best plane overall. I’d own one in a heartbeat anyway, if one came my way. The Yak 18T doesn’t appeal to me, too huge and yokes (but I’d take a Yak 50 or even a Yak 18P in its place). I haven’t tried the Piaggio 149 but with an old GO-480 to maintain and Navion looks it doesn’t really grab me. Still happy somebody keeps them flying!

In the US, foreign ex-military piston aircraft are great for for the individual owner because annuals can be signed off by ‘any old A&P’ who happens to be in the area (no IA), and there are no operating radius issues in that segment of Experimental Exhibition.

Have fun in the SAAB!

All two seater Yaks are not exactly tourers, topic in this thread , quite the opposite: A total of 120 liters in a Yak 52 is great for having fun with a bit of aerobatics but useless for “longer” trips. Also minimum space for pilot and backseater gear in the fuselage. So if you want some aerobatics plus space and touring : Get an 18 T ! In my eyes the proportions of the 50 and 52 don´t look so balanced, too thin for my liking, I´d rather go for a 18 A, if ever. But after an 18 T I would feel very claustrophobic in these two seaters, just so spoiled for the side-by-side seating and vast space in the back bench, for two adults plus one child, in the 18 T, more leg room than in first class airliner. If you really want long range with a 18 T, you can fit 90 l tank in the luggage cabinet, or better have extra wing tanks fitted so there are ca. 320 l available total. Not many four seaters available for aerobatics plus touring, Piggy (Piaggio) a bit problematic today to keep in the air legally. Vic
vic
EDME

Vic it requires a bit of double think to use private and soviet in the same sentence, but interesting that they were only used in the civilian training programme.

Here is a link on an article on the difference between western and Russian attitude indicators, possibly all 18Ts in the west are fitted with western AIs?

http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/learmount/2009/02/which_way_is_up_for_eastern_an/

14 Posts
Sign in to add your message