Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Agent to assist import Switzerland to EU, and aircraft VAT

I would appreciate any suggestions for an agent with relevant experience, to assist in a private individual importing a Swiss aircraft into the EU (probably into France) and organising the VAT payment etc.

Bluebeard
EIKH, Ireland

Are you changing the reg also?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yes, HB- to N- too.

Bluebeard
EIKH, Ireland

The merged thread on N reg transfer is here

A writeup from me on the transfer (mostly still current) is here

Re the VAT issue from Switzerland I have no idea.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thanks Peter

I am focussed at the moment on the VAT issue, i.e. finding some experienced agent who will handle this issue for me. VAT will be payable upon private import to the EU so as to be in free circulation.

So I thought this might be a good place to ask the pundits!

Bluebeard
EIKH, Ireland

I am not sure you even need an agent. Fly the plane from Switzerland to Luxembourg (as far as I know lowest VAT rate in Europe) walk up to Luxembourg customs and say you want to pay VAT. The customs office there is quite competent so you can call them in advance to ask what paperwork they will need. But you will probably need at least some paperwork to prove the value of the plane.

I am not sure you will also have to officially export the plane from Switzerland. Maybe call up swiss customs at a major GA airport and ask.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Off the cuff, I’d suggest just contacting one or more EU country customs offices where you would expect to land for the first time when importing and ask the question. The underlined part is important because in some (not all) countries the left and right hands don’t communicate so well. That way you’ll be talking to the people you’ll also see when the time comes, and airport customs will be familiar with the process and goods compared to some central office that might have no idea.

When I imported my airplane into Switzerland, I just phoned customs in advance. They asked me where I intended to clear customs when arriving the first time (answer: Basel). Then they said just to land and proceed to customs to complete the paperwork. They told me what I needed to provide as paperwork support for processing, which I gathered together in advance. Payment on the spot needs to be somehow assured. When the time came, it took me less than an hour at Basel CH customs and I left with a nice customs receipt after paying the VAT (via direct debit card). Customs is interested in value and type of goods (they have a big book with all goods categorized and the reference code then determines the duty/VAT rate to be applied). IIRC, the paperwork consisted primarily of proof of value, since it was a used aircraft…. in my case a bill of sale from the previous owner with his signature and the date. I don’t recall if they wanted to see some proof that the payment was actually made, such as a corresponding bank receipt. Of course they wanted to see details such as manufacturer, type, serial number, aircraft registration, and perhaps CofA, but that was really just to provide the reference info for goods classification, the import receipt, and to prove that I was indeed importing the claimed aircraft. Note: This is pure customs and the aircraft was and remains N-reg.

I see that my post has crossed with Sebastian’s. I agree with his suggestion, and especially the call in advance.

Last Edited by chflyer at 17 May 16:31
LSZK, Switzerland

I can highly recommend Mrs. Stecher

In the beginning of the year, she managed the import for our Bonanza from Switzerland to Germany.
Cost was no factor (IIRC around 200€) and she managed everything without trouble in short time.

Contact details:

Petra Stecher
Beratung für Zoll und Fragen der Außenwirtschaft – AEO DE AEOC 101371
Karl-Lösch-Str. 3
67360 Lingenfeld

Tel: +49 6344 9694797 Fax: +49 6344 9694799

Mobil: 0174 3132570
Niederlassung Mannheim:

Fruchtbahnhofstr. 3
68159 Mannheim

Tel: +49 621 33958503 / 04 Fax: +49 621 86255480
mailto:
www.stecher-zoll.com

Steuernummer: 41/168/40549 USt-Id Nr. 257293947

EDMA, Germany

Mrs Stecher: that is perfect, just what I was looking for, thank you. Maybe I will arrive in the EU at Basel (the French side) where Swiss-to-EU customs clearance is an everyday matter. I understand the French VAT rate may vary according to the aircraft’s age so I need to establish any relevant facts about this in advance. EUR200 is nothing when it comes to avoiding customs trouble, I always like to have a competent intermediary when dealing with tax authorities everywhere.

Bluebeard
EIKH, Ireland

Sadly it turns out Mrs Stecher only deals with imports to Germany.

I need to find a good agent for importing to France.

Bluebeard
EIKH, Ireland
17 Posts
Sign in to add your message