Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

AIP/Air Law Customs/Immigration in PPL training

Hello,

As I was reading the thread about the Customs problems on another thread (https://www.euroga.org/forums/hangar-talk/11302-crowdfunding-launched-by-german-swiss-aopas-to-help-rescue-a-retired-pilot-from-bankruptcy-due-to-german-customs-decision) I realised that I don’t remeber much about Customer/Immigration from Air Law.
All there was just “read AIP”.

Can please respond to the following question: what information is provided in your country on customs/immigration in the Air Law or any other parts of PPL theory?

We already know that AIP could be very inaccurate on many subjects…

Thank you!

EGTR

arj1 wrote:

Can please respond to the following question: what information is provided in your country on customs/immigration in the Air Law or any other parts of PPL theory?

I did a German PPL in 2006 and I remember a short sentence about you need a port of entry and nothing more. Nothing about Schengen, EU, PPR, GAR etc. But tons of calculating with that plastic slider thing I lately found at the bottom of a box organizing the office.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

I did it in Ireland in 2001. I don’t remember it being mentioned at all.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

It was never mentioned during my PPL in 2000/2001. However, UK PPL training is virtually useless for flying A to B anyway, and I suspect this applies to almost every other country (except Luxembourg ).

I wrote up these issues and many others in a VFR in Europe presentation which I did in 2012, but never did again because all establishments (schools) boycotted it (because any talk of flying to Europe makes PPL instruction, and the instructors, look a bit useless) and people wanted me to travel to various airfields and do it there but that was too much hassle. Any freelance instructor doing talks on flying has to deal with this issue and I was busy elsewhere…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Sebastian_G wrote:

But tons of calculating with that plastic slider thing I lately found at the bottom of a box organizing the office.

Let’s see. What else is missing in PPL:

• How to order hotel in Tanzania
  • How to fill fuel from a Jerry can – on a high wing aircraft – at night – in the winter at -20 – in Finland…
  • How to speak Georgian to the ground crew at Tbilisi
  • How to find 100LL in Greenland
  • and the list goes on and on

IMO we should learn how to fly the plane, period. The rest is up to each individual to figure out, or together as a community.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

arj1 wrote:

Cross border operations is not part of the PPL syllabus in Germany – is it in any country?

Germany

Why would customs/immigration issues be part of air law syllabus? Do you learn such stuff when learning how to drive the car?

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Emir wrote:

Why would customs/immigration issues be part of air law syllabus? Do you learn such stuff when learning how to drive the car?

:) No, I don’t! That’s a good one.

The challenge is that in Europe you can easily cross the borders of the CU on a plane and it’s much harder to do so in a car without going though port of entry.
I’d hoped that there is something in the PPL theory talking about some basic things, like:
1. Immigration (for example, between say, France and Ukraine)
2. Customs (for example, between say, France and Switzerland)
That they are different things.
Ports of entry vs. notification method (like GAR etc).
Where to get information in ENGLISH about these aspects…

EGTR

arj1 wrote:

Where to get information in ENGLISH about these aspects

While you can look at various pilot sources and on internet, I find nothing beats talking to local pilots who fly that A to B

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

arj1 wrote: Where to get information in ENGLISH about these aspects

While you can look at various pilot sources and on internet, I find nothing beats talking to local pilots who fly that A to B

Ibra, I meant the official document. What a foreign pilot can read so said pilot can follow the procedures introduced by the authorities?

EGTR
26 Posts
Sign in to add your message