Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

"Air Million" now covers most of Europe

Link

I think that for leal VFR-type flying and as your primary and only basis for navigation and airspace avoidance, 1:1000000 charts are a little marginal.

But I think they are good backups for those (most of us) flying with something like Skydemon, EasyVFR or JMFDVFR and wanting a paper backup.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 03 Apr 06:23
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Thanks. I will definitly have a look at these in Friedrichshafen

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

It’s brilliant to see that somebody has stepped into the vacuum created by Jepp’s discontinuation of the VFR charts.

Am I right that these are printed only i.e. no electronic version?

1:1000000 charts are a little marginal

Maybe for map+compass type of flying, but seriously how many people navigate using that and fly far enough to need a large area chart?

Yes, I know, it won’t be long before someone mentions X who flew a Thruster like that from Goodwood to Kathmandu, but I am talking about people doing this normally.

I am assuming that all CAS and other “prohibited” areas are shown. If not, the chart is useless and one may as well fly with a 1990s ONC one…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Sure, the navigation (i.e. Finding your way from A to B) is usually done primarily by GPS nowadays, but one still needs to fully decipher and “understand” the airspace. On a 1:1000000 scale, I think that’s just too difficult in complex areas. It doesn’t really help that “all airspaces are shown”. Much too easy to make a mistake. So, for me, it would be “backup only”.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 03 Apr 10:08

The cartabossy (1/1000000) is designed to be easy to decipher. It’s available in many different electronic formats, and you can see it for free on carte.aero
The only drawback is that it’s only available for France.

The Cartabossy and Air Million charts are the same design, the Cartabossy design.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 03 Apr 10:01

When ever I go any where (which admittedly isn’t far) I use skydemon with these maps as back up and once I’ve got used to them I have to day I’ve think they are very good.

Although I still teach my students to use the caa 1:500000. Which I also think are very good however having the same aperance must help reduce airspace busts.

The UK is one of the few countries which publishes a nice VFR chart.

The cartabossy (1/1000000) is designed to be easy to decipher. It’s available in many different electronic formats, and you can see it for free on carte.aero

OK – I have that one, as a jpeg, png and Oziexplorer

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The UK is one of the few countries which publishes a nice VFR chart.

That’s merely a matter of perception. Pilots find intuitive what they have been used to forever, from the days of their PPL training.

German pilots will say the DFS charts are the only ones. French pilots will say that about the IGN charts.

Pilots find intuitive what they have been used to forever, from the days of their PPL training.

Never a truer word said!

EIWT Weston, Ireland
43 Posts
Sign in to add your message