Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

"Air Taxi" with a Cirrus

Are they asking their customers to put on an oxygen mask when flying above 10K feet?

AFAIK you only need passenger oxygen above 13 k feet. Between 10 k feet and 13 k feet its “10 % of passengers for the entire flight time minus 30 minutes”, which makes for some interesting maths in the Cirrus

All highly academic, of course

LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

AFAIK you only need passenger oxygen above 13 k feet.

But the pilot will have to wear his mask above 10.000ft. This will result in a interesting discussion with the passenger(s): “Why don’t we get one of these as well?” “Because the oxygen bottle is not big enough for all of us” …

EDDS - Stuttgart

In the UK you need two engines for an AOC/charter operation which goes A to B. Basically you buy a shagged Seneca, or similar.

For A to A, VFR, you can get a sightseeing AOC for a SEP.

If you could get an A to B SEP AOC, then it could work in the right mission profile – just like the long standing Islander/Trilander flights between southern UK airports and the Channel Islands. In bad wx, they just scud run. They obviously cannot fly in heavily convective IMC; they have to go underneath. And without oxygen (which is IMHO impractical for charter passengers) they cannot outclimb anything “we” here call “weather”. Those flights could never work say between France/Germany and Switzerland.

But it would be expensive… just 3 passengers in an SR22. Also three of today’s average adults, plus some golf clubs, would take an SR22 over MTOW, unless it had not much fuel.

I recall those Islander flights. The operators used to go bust regularly. On one flight I went to Jersey they cancelled the return flight (because I would have been the only one on it) and gave me a ticket to fly back on an airline, to Gatwick, plus a voucher for a train ticket back to Shoreham. The flight to Gatwick was OK but British Rail would not accept the ticket voucher because the company had not settled its account Totally comical.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

They are a bit further along – here

The above discussion got a bit confused between the SR22 and the Cirrus jet, I think.

Last Edited by Peter at 27 Mar 17:32
Administrator

Quite a few AOC A to A and A to B operations in the UK operate single crew – isn’t multi crew triggered by MAUW or number of passengers?

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

isn’t multi crew triggered by MAUW or number of passengers?

It basically depends on two things: The manufacturer must equip and certify the aircraft for single pilot operation. This is the case for most part 23 aircraft and a few part 25 ones. There were for example some Citation “SP” models. And secondly, the authority must approve single pilot operation. I only know the rules in Germany, but here, they are very strict regarding jets (any size): No single pilot commercial jet operation. On turboprops, it depends on the complexity of the aircraft: KingAir yes, Metroliner no for example.

EDDS - Stuttgart

[ advertisement deleted ]

After the start of the new EASA cost sharing rules, I knew it wouldn’t take long until some “young and dynamic” people would come up with some totally borderline private flight “businesses”…

659 + VAT per flight hour for an SR22…

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I had earlier deleted an advertisement here for pilots to fly an SR22 in NW Europe, doing what looks like charter (public transport) work.

Administrator

For € 659 + VAT they can call me anytime ;-)

Sign in to add your message