Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

"Air Taxi" with a Cirrus

For € 659 + VAT they can call me anytime ;-)

But that is more than cost sharing. Do you have a CPL and an AOC?

Last Edited by mdoerr at 02 Jun 09:59
United Kingdom

But that is more than cost sharing.

How do we know? In Germany it has always been legal to include all the costs involved in owning and maintaining the aeroplane when splitting the cost. So an SR22 that only flies 30 hours a year can easily cost 650€ per hour. Or even a well utilised one operated from an expensive airport.

EDDS - Stuttgart

659 + VAT per flight hour for an SR22…

My Q is how would such an operation plan to make a profit?

One cannot make a profit using legal cost sharing, but something is “obviously possible” using two entities which appear to be at arm’s length.

One way I can think of would be for the owner of the business (say X) to operate the plane via a company, which rents the plane out to pilot Y for say €1000/hr. Y then cost-shares this €1000/hr between himself (paying say €1/hr) and his passengers (paying €999/hr). The company then receives €1000/hr, which X draws out as a salary or dividend, pays income etc taxes on it, gives €1/hr to Y to compensate him for his €1/hr expenditure, and pays a further say €200/hr to Y as the pilot’s salary, and keeps the difference.

Or some similar scheme… it is late now and I am flying back from Greece tomorrow

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

As you can see on their website, they use the “fractional ownership model” (where you buy a share for 1000€), so that it doesn’t count as classical charter any more. Instead, you are using your “own” aircraft and hire a pilot on top.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

www.flyaeolus.com/

About 10 years ago, Air Touring set up a fractional scheme around a TBM. According to one then famous forum personality who knew them, they got UK CAA approval for it. Otherwise it was a bit illegal in the UK… N-reg. Impossible on G-reg.

One issue was that a pilot cannot be paid unless he holds a JAA/EASA CPL which most N-reg pilots don’t have.

Does Germany allow fractional on D-reg?

Administrator

Does Germany allow fractional on D-reg?

Yes.

Does Germany allow fractional on N-reg?

Sorry – that was the “difficult but possible” UK based case. G-reg fractional was / remains illegal, in the sense that you cannot have a plane available, with a paid pilot, to take you where you want to go and when you want to go (in effect, regardless of how it is wrapped up).

We did this here but I have to say I don’t actually understand what “fractional” really gives you. Can anyone explain the benefits in the USA, in detail?

Administrator

Does Germany allow fractional on N-reg?

N-regs are governed by FAA regulation. The only thing Germany would not allow is an AOC on N-reg but if you can do fractional non AOC on N-reg, why not? Germany in essence doesn’t really know about N-regs, they are not registered here, don’t need a permit so nobody knows how many there are and where they are. It’s a bit outside the system which is why I believe eventually EASA will try to limit non EASA-regs.

I cannot believe there is no regulation on this in Germany.

For example, what stops every German flying school going N-reg?

Administrator

For example, what stops every German flying school going N-reg?

The FAA I believe.

Sign in to add your message