Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Aircraft battery (Gill versus Concorde)

I had a Gill battery and they failed pretty quick.
Transair should have concorde batteries as I got mine from them. It was on offer. Took a few weeks to arrive. Concorde are heavier, so W&B should be updated

United Kingdom

achimha wrote:

The traditional Gill are known to be good.

Good for what ???

I’ve had absolutely dismal battery life with the Gill legacy flooded acid batteries, and that includes most of my clients that had ’m.

I’ve already posted on the subject, but IMHO, the culprit is two-fold: poor quality in recent years, and the fact that many shops are NOT using the proper acid .

For these reasons, plus the obvious benefits of going to sealed, I now highly recommend sealed Concord.

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

It’s been a long time since I have heard something good about Gill batteries. Wherever I look Concorde batteries are recommended.

I got 7 years out of my Gill flooded cell battery, that is certainly not bad. Today I would buy a sealed battery, only because it’s maintenance free. However, the sealed Concordes are heavier than the flooded cell Gils.

7 years is certainly not bad for battery life!

And when was that Gill manufactured ? It seems the quality went to sh!t sometime around 2005 or so …

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

IME Gill batteries fail unpredictably. I had one fail soon after a successful load test.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

IME Gill batteries fail unpredictably. I had one fail soon after a successful load test.

Load tests are brutal and they are, IMHO, the best way to kill a battery.

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Do you care to explain @Michael?

The correct load testing is with a small load, and should be stopped after a certain time, when the capacity has been checked ok, or stopped before dropping below a certain level, to prevent the battery from damage, and be able to recharge it for another test. If it fails again, the battery should be rejected?

I do notice quite some incorrect load test, which could harm the battery. As the correct methode cost quite some time to execute.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

We used to use the Gill flooded cell batteries, the last one didn’t even last 3 years. Being on a permit we had rather more options for the replacement (we now use an off-the-shelf gel battery).

Andreas IOM
Sign in to add your message