Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Aircraft covers?

We are very happy with our JAXIDA cover, made in Germany, light, waterproof, sun-blocking, easy to carry with self contained bag.

Jean
EBST, Belgium

PetitCessnaVoyageur wrote:

I think Bruce cover produce some.

Well, I do not want any birds nesting, although it probably is not the season, so I ordered from Bruces cowl plugs from Aircraft Spruce…

LFPT, LFPN

Post moved to existing thread

I own a thick canvas cover with my plane originally acquired by a past owner from Cambrai covers in the UK – It’s one of their “open air” covers rather than a thinner “hangar” cover, despite the fact that the plane now lives most of its life in a hangar. It covers the whole cockpit and the forward portion of the plane all the way to the propellor.

I will be flying with a group on a tour to Portugal and back next summer. Along the way and whilst in Portugal I’m guessing that there will be hot sunny weather on the ground – weather that my plane rarely sees on the ground for more than about 10 minutes in the UK. So my question is what is the best way of keeping the heat and sunshine out of my cockpit? Should I buy those little silvery window-fixed reflectors or will my canvas cover be the best thing? I am a bit concerned that the canvas will let the heat through (although not the sunlight itself) and make the plane into an oven.

Do the shiny window covers really work? Where is a good place to buy them?

All advice appreciated. Thanks.

Howard

Flying a TB20 out of EGTR
Elstree (EGTR), United Kingdom

I don’t know if this has been mentioned before but I heard that the silver reflectors bugger up the plastic windows, because the window material gets a double dose of UV – one lot from the sun and the other lot from the reflector. With glass it would not matter…

I would just use a lightweight reflective cover – a pic of mine is on 1st page in this thread. It is very effective.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thanks Peter, but I was hoping to avoid the cost of buying a whole new (outdoor/summer) cover. Perhaps that’s the right way to go though.

I called Cambrai yesterday. They advised that the thick canvas cover of their which I own would do a pretty good job of keeping the worst of the heat out of the cockpit in a hot climate: It would shield the cockpit from direct entry of the sun’s rays and that is the main thing to do apparently, to keep the heat out.

I’ll have to lug this big cover around though, as well as the life raft, which will be a bit of a pain, but I can cope with that I think.

H

I think my Bruce “lightweight reflective” cover weighs perhaps 5kg, FWIW. It is on the plane virtually everywhere it is parked, partly because you can’t (usually) guarantee it won’t be sunny and partly to stop people seeing your pricey headsets etc. Most GA airports have no security at night.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

This is a 4 years old engine cover.
Obviously, the raw textile was of insufficient quality.

Better the cover than the plane… is this your Bruce cover?

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

It is NOT Bruce.
I expect Sunbrella they (Bruce) use to last longer.
Will see…

Sign in to add your message