Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Aircraft grounded by local CAA for expired Transponder / Pitot - Static bi-annual checks

Hi Michael,
Can you be more specific on when this story happened ?! 10 years ago ? last week ?
What was the main reason for grounding the aircraft ?
what was the purpose the aircraft came to Egypt ?
Was it coming to be registered here when they found out some missing paper work ?

Personally speaking, I have checked and there is no grounded pipers during the last whole month in all of Egypt :)

Would appreciate if you give us more info

Michael wrote:

So I ask you then : WHEN or HOW could you get called out on an out-of-date 91.411 and/or 91.413 (besides a post incident investigation) ?

Probably extremely rarely. A checkride might generate such a situation. A ramp inspection may result in a request for maintenance records which might show that required checks were not performed. But in general this is often caught by the maintenance crew during an annual and it gets taken care of. Once the record is made, the fact that there was a previous lapse in airworthiness is not knowable, unless the pilot hands over the past records to the FAA, even though they are not required by regulation to do so.

KUZA, United States

Michael wrote:

A “static check” is NOT a FAR 91.411 Altimeter system and altitude reporting equipment tests and inspection.

As a certified FAA A&P, I can certainly determine if the Static system does not leak , I have NO authority to perform a FAR 91.411 bi-annual test.

A static leak test performed by an A&P is just about useless if you don’t have a current 91.411 …

I never said it was a full 91.411 Altimeter system check. I was responding to this statement:

Peter wrote:
if you field-swap the transponder then you need another static system check which needs a FAA 145 company… (is that true if the transponder doesn’t contain the altitude encoder?

I stand behind my original response as being correct. It is even included in your quote of the regulation

Michael wrote:
(3) A certificated mechanic with an airframe rating (static pressure system tests and inspections only).
KUZA, United States

N Reg. Spain.
Urgently need an FAA licensed tech willing to travel to give Cert- 91-411 & 413 tests. I have 4 aircraft to certify
any help to find one please would be much appreciated

For this you need an FAA 145 company. IAE used to travel to a lot of places. Not sure if they will do Spain. If so, it won’t be cheap; I used to pay about £150 for travelling from Cranfield to Shoreham (a 2hr drive).

There ought to be an FAA 145 facility in Spain. Which part of Spain?

I will ask a few people I know.

Otherwise, FAA Repair Stations can be found here. For Spain it finds four companies.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Looking at that list of repair stations, it would seem in the UK only IAE and RGV spring to mind as GA orientated firms for this service. Anyone else see one I missed?

I remember going to IAE for the 411 & 413 checks and finding a leak in the system. The flat fee went out the window. I should have had it tested locally first and gone to them knowing there were no leaks….

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

I use MCA Aviation at EGHH (formerly at EGKA) and there are numerous FAA 145 companies in the UK with the static system tester, but that is of no use to the chap in Spain because probably most of them won’t travel, especially hauling the heavy box on an airline flight at short notice.

Someone suggested the Cessna centre at Valencia is worth a call.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Try Heliswiss at Sabadell. I know they also travel

Frequent travels around Europe

Rosique AIrcraft at Reus does this. I’ve left a message asking whether they could help.
Already asked previously, where are you located?

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Is the transponder/ pitot -static / altimeter check for G-regs also bi-annual or is it annual? I heard of both versions …

EDxx, Germany
Sign in to add your message