Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Aircraft rental in Florida (or Bahamas)

Anyone had a luck renting an aircraft in Florida (Orlando/Miami area) and went to Bahamas? How does it work over there for extended one week rental?

I am more after usual FG types with decent 4h flying range (e.g. C172, PA28, DA40)

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Pilots Paradise in Sebastian are a popular choice and setup for foreign pilots to do exactly this sort of trip.
Owned and managed by Brits.

FlyerDavidUK, PPL & IR Instructor
EGBJ, United Kingdom

I rented with Atlas Aviation in Tampa a beautiful C177 RG (new cockpit with G500) and flew down to St. Maarten though Bahamas and Turks And Caicos (last May).
Totally recommend it. Rental price is good and the airplane is fantastic. I should be able to post some photos in a topic in a near future (as soon i have some free time).

LILV, Italy

Go for it!

We did this at the beginning of this year, here’s a trip report: https://www.euroga.org/forums/trips-airports/10994-bahamarama-trip-report#post_218868

We rented with St. Pete Air at Albert Whitted airfield. Organization was smooth and friendly, rates very good, airplane condition (PA28) decent, but not impeccable. The airfield is very scenic.

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

As far as I know and remember you need an IFR rating and currency for most FBO/s. Whether an EASA IR is accepted I can’t say. Patrick (above) may be able to confirm as his trip isn’t that long ago.

AJ
Germany

@AJ: In Atlas Aviation they did not require the IFR for both the C177 crew and the SR22 crew.

LILV, Italy

I have also rented the exact aircraft as Patrick did from St Pete Air at Albert Whitted (on the West Coast, St Petersburg just south of Tampa). Write-up here. They were very professional and easy to deal with, although I did have to insist on borrowing life jackets and did not have a liferaft for our flight around Everglades and to the Keys. They did not require IFR, but I have added my EASA IR to my FAA piggyback licence and I did benefit from using that twice when there were a few clouds in the sky.

They are used to tourists – they joked that Germans typically want the best on offer (G1000, Cirrus etc.) while Brits typically look for the cheapest option ;)

FlyerDavidUK, PPL & IR Instructor
EGBJ, United Kingdom

Thanks DavidC, I will check with them seems like nice setup

Mark0505, I am also very tempted to follow that route but if I don’t stop the show in Bahamas one will end up in Trinidad & Tobago…

AJ, yes seemed to be the case last year when I rented an SR20 somewhere else and inquired about taking it down to Miami & Bahamas (IR & 300h & IFR Course/Checkout), but down in Florida renting the usual VFR aircrafts for trips to Bahams seems bread and butter for the local FBO buiness

@Patrick as always thanks for the trip report and well done for fitting 4pob logistics in a 3pob aircraft :)

Regarding weather, what is the ideal period for a VFR trip? I got two work trips January and March so some vacation/flying just after

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
8 Posts
Sign in to add your message