Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Aircraft suggestions

My club also operates 172SP out of a 500m grass runway, but apparently with climb props…

LSZK, Switzerland

I think that you got it right the first time with the DR400 idea, it has the take off performance to meet the requirements and it has the speed and range to be not far behind the C182 or PA28-235 but will do this with a 180HP engine that will run 91UL.

The DR400 will have significantly lower operating costs both in fuel consumption and maintenance, however it must be hangared ( I would argue that hangarage of metal aircraft is cost neutral as the cost of deterioration of aircraft kept outside usually matches the cost of hangarage).

Sourcing a good DR400 can be a bit of a problem, some of the newer aircraft would fit your bill but are unlikely to have a glass cockpit and the maintenance history has to be looked at very carefully.

If I was in your place and was set on a DR400 I would go looking for a very tired but original aircraft with the later landing gear (1980 onwards would fit the bill) this you can get for not a lot of money as the older DR400 market is depressed by old aircraft that flying groups who don’t want to spend any money finally wake up to the fact that years of not spending has caught up with the aircraft, I think you might be able to pick one up for £10-14K.
With a top to bottom rebuild and a overhauled engine you will have an aircraft that will be trouble free for twenty years for a total cost of around £65-70K not including avionics. ( but the avionics decision has to be made at the start of the rebuild )
The G500 and GTN navigation systems will soon be approved for the type and the Aspin already is so The glass cockpit is an option and a cost to suit most pockets.

I am not sure how the approvals work, as the G500 and GTN750 is already offered by the factory on new aircraft.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

There is one here. It has been used for towing, so it is a tow version with 4 bladed CS and special silencer, no noise

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

On the DR400, they are lovely planes. My home base being in France and many of the usual aeroclubs (where most people do their flying) being equipped with DR400’s I have done a good part of my flying on them. The 180HP model will not take 91UL – but will only take 100LL AVGAS, which is no problem in France but is obviously more expensive. They are in theory a good IFR platform, yet my club is getting a lease on a Tecnam P2010 since the real worry with Robin at this moment are spare parts – even on the newer models there is a waiting time of several weeks and Robin kicks you off the waiting list after a certain amount of time which means you constantly have to monitor. The situation is the same for the “new Robin” and the ecoflyer. The 180 is a true four seater and will take off on a 630m grass strip – though as Bosco rightly states not fully loaded and fueled – our 180HP has 110L of Avgas in the main tank + 40l in each of the wings, where the 160HP we also operate has 110L in the main plus 50l in the auxiliary.
The problem with our 160HP is that it is out since well over 2 months now waiting for spare parts – which Robin say will arrive any day, yet they have been saying that for weeks. You will see many older Robins even refurbished on the market in a good state for not that big an amount of money – as maintenance is really becoming an issue. We’ve changed mechanics really and all of the above is based on a discussion I had with the new mechanic when questioning him why our 160 was still out and there was so little progress. A new Tecnam P2010 seems like a good alternative – cruises at 140Knots takes of on a handkerchief will run on unleaded and where a 100hours on a Robin will be a week, it will be done in a day on a Tecnam. As I said, I am not as experienced of a pilot as a lot of people on this forum, 200hours+ and have only recently started my training for the EIR/CBIR and all of the above is from having talked to the people in my club in France about the purchase of a 4 seater plane + our mechanic. (so far for the disclaimer)

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

As I said, I am not as experienced of a pilot as a lot of people on this forum, 200hours+ and have only recently started my training for the EIR/CBIR

Bonjour LFHNflightstudent,
We seem to be following the same path: CB-IR.
What ATO did you select?
Did you take the new Mermoz ground course?

LFLY, France

LFHNflightstudent

The DR400-180 will take 91UL fuel, there is a Lycoming SB that covers the subject and the O-360 variant fitted to the -180 is cleared for 91UL provided the correct engine oil is used.

The 160 as you call it is infact a DR400-140B, the aircraft has a 160 hp engine and the fuel tanks as you discribe, the DR400-160 has the centre and two wing tanks but no tank under the baggage bay.

Some Robin parts have been a bit of a problem because the origonal parts were low volume French car or aircraft parts that had gone out of production, The latest Robin management have seen the light and now are fitting standard American parts and issuing SB’s to cover the modification of the older aircraft to the latest standard.

I have yet to see a light aircraft that you can fill the tanks to the top and fill all the seats and baggage bay, the Cessna 182 comes near but few others will, putting 240 LTS of AVGAS in my DR400-180 turns it into a two seat aircraft with room for female quantitys of baggage.

Last Edited by A_and_C at 26 Nov 01:32

Nestor Bonjour – taking the Mermoz course on the 12-13th of December (followed by the self study which I have started) – then LFHN have signed a convention with AirAlp in Grenoble for the sim work and actual IMC work. A and C my bad, as I said I am not an expert.

Last Edited by LFHNflightstudent at 26 Nov 08:16
LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

I already saw that a P2010 would fit my requirements, unfortunately it does not fit my budget!

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

A German friend has operated a Cessna FR172 Reims Rocket out of a 430 meter length paved runway for twenty years. He likes it and says it’s great for the job, like a C182 with less fuel burn (having only 210 HP). He’s flown it IFR all over the place, with family.

The Robin would be more my style, but more delicate in construction and maintenance.

Sign in to add your message