Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Single Engine cockpit noise level; is one airplane quieter than others?

I would say any rotax driven airplane would be better as they make so much less sound, and that is only one of the advantages.

LF2433 rochebeaucourt france, Netherlands

Marcpa wrote:

I would say any rotax driven airplane would be better as they make so much less sound, and that is only one of the advantages.

I disagree on the sound equals ‘noise’ setting. A Rotax engine may produce less straight forward measured sound pressure, but ‘noise’ is a psychological phenomenon with sound pressure only one of several parameters. I agree the higher frequencies generated by a Rotax are measured as less sound pressure and that is really fine for neighborhood discussions.

But surprisingly, complaints at airfields get more with the increase of Rotax and vanishing of Lyco-Saurus and Conti-Rexes, maybe only coincidently but maybe root caused. Btw, the same is currently observed with local noisehood watch initiatives at larger airports, the more Neo airliners arrive the more locals complaints while sound pressure levels decrease.

There is much more complexity to ‘noise’ than usually anticipated.

Last Edited by at 21 Feb 13:09

tmo wrote:

You sure the Echelon, not the Stratus? I can’t find a ANR Echelon on Telex’s web site. Can you point at a specific model?

Oops, sorry, I am actually not sure, I wrote “Echelon” off the top of my head. All I remember for sure that it was the top model in their lineup.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

In terms of cabin noise, by far the quietest SEP I fly is the P210 with a 4-blade-prop. Not only is it quite, but also very smooth, more so than other 6-cylinder-planes.

Friedrichshafen EDNY

Go electric

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
25 Posts
Sign in to add your message