Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Looking to speak to Maule pilots

RobertL18C wrote:

The Cessna T206 probably fits the bill with reasonable comfort.

Well, if Stephan is willing to consider a 206, he may as well go for a T206’RG and that way he will not miss the range or performance of his SR22?

I know one guy who flies his one from his 500m strip in his finca in Southern Spain to his place North of the Pyrenees. I believe he has a Robertson STOL kit (which I can attest that, other than the weight, has ZERO impact on climb and cruise performance, not the typical 3-5 KTS loss by other kits.
If there are no obstacles either side, and you are only carrying 500kg of people, fuel and things then this is safely feasible.

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Antonio good point – the 210 is operated on dirt strips, I just have a bias for fixed gear if paying the maintenance especially if operating off dirt/gravel/mud/grass.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

RobertL18C wrote:

the 210

I knew you would not miss the point on the 206RG aka 210

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Hi Antonio actually the 210 preceded the 205 and 206. The original type for the 205 was in fact 210-5, so the 205/206 family should be called 210 fixed gear :)

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

I own and fly a T206, IFR equiped with TKS and tip tanks, and it’s a very capable and versatile aircraft. I plan 140KTAS at FL100 with 16 gph. Payload 360kg with an endurance of 6,5 hours with IFR reserves. POH indicates a take off ground roll of 315m at 40°C and MTOW.

Caen LFRK, France

Olivier14 wrote:

140KTAS at FL100 with 16 gph

Hi Olivier! Is that LOP or ROP?

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Hi Antonio, it’s 125°F ROP, 65%. As a newbie to the world of aircraft owner, I’am conservative ;-)
106 gallons helps…

Caen LFRK, France

Yup, a very capable aircraft indeed! You should be able to do less than 14GPH LOP at that power if you have an engine monitor, but you know all the caveats…I think yours is Lycoming, right? I dont know if it will be happy LOP.

Any experience on grass? U fly with wheel spats?

Antonio
LESB, Spain

No, it’s a pre 1986, a TU206G, with continental. I have an EDM 830, but I’am happy for now at ROP. My base is 800m grass (well drained), and no problem, even with wheels fairings.

Caen LFRK, France

@Stephan_Schwab, I’ve had a look at your website and my advice as a Maule owner is: don’t even consider buying a Maule to replace your Cirrus unless plan to change your aviation mindset and mission as well as your residence and way of life. Thats a lot of change…

If you’re thinking of a nice grass runway nearly half a kilometre long, a Maule is completely wasted. Compared with a Cirrus a Maule is aerotrash, it’s a HUGE step down the aviation ladder from an SR22. A Maule is not for zapping between fancy airports and improved private runways, it’s for this:

or for this:

or, at a pinch, for this (a friend’s first solo Maule landing):

Last Edited by Jacko at 19 Dec 23:45
Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message