Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Looking to speak to Maule pilots

Yes, cleaning mud (and worse) from the underside of a Jodel (low) wing is not my favourite winter job.

The Maule manuals have no performance info, but 400 m includes a comfortable margin. My rule of thumb is that one’s home strip should allow a decent margin for arrivals in difficult wind conditions.

Last Edited by Jacko at 04 Jan 23:13
Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Not looking for skis & floats but having 500kg UL would be ideal, I am mostly looking for flying from backyard to backyard with airspace crossing on autopilot in between (sunny weather IFR)

I will look at O360 ones as well

If you don’t need to haul a motorcycle or a 205 litre drum, or similar bulky cargo, or if you’re happy to be confined to established aerodromes with hard or dry-ish runways, you probably don’t need a Maule.

Haha, no motorcycles but I need to get bulky stuff inside (big wheels bikes)

I am not a fan of hard runways or big airport lounges, ideally base LaMaule in private runway 3 minutes nearby, sadly the Mooney & Diamond can’t fit in that 400m (they also need gentle remove/fold seats to get cargo, clean dirt under and careful performance planning)

Last Edited by Ibra at 04 Jan 22:45
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

PS Did you get autopilot information? The Jodel Forum on.io would be the place to find it.

Not really. But the Garmin GSA28 servos are so well designed, and so small and light that the engineering is trivial. I think we have a plan for roll and for pitch.

I never managed to get onto the French Jodel forum. Is there a UK one now?

I am looking to find EuroGA pilot who flies a Maule for grass stripping and 600nm touring (ideally M7/M9 with 235/260 IO variants)

Unless you need the fifth seat and/or floats or skis, the O-360 constant speed models are almost as capable near sea level and even sweeter to fly.

The main advantages of a Maule over any other certified 4/5 seat airplane in current production, or over a Mousquetaire for instance, are (a) cargo capacity and (b) not needing any kind of prepared runway (you can pick a landing site with confidence using Google Earth).

A disadvantage is that there are very few for sale with a decent autopilot fitted.

If you don’t need to haul a motorcycle or a 205 litre drum, or similar bulky cargo, or if you’re happy to be confined to established aerodromes with hard or dry-ish runways, you probably don’t need a Maule.

Most Mousqueraires were factory built, then became “orphaned”.
PS Did you get autopilot information? The Jodel Forum on.io would be the place to find it.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Not so fast! Jacko still has his Maule.

The JoJo was purchased as a “stand in” for the MX-7-180 while the latter undergoes a rather extensive renovation (new M6 fuselage, universal wings, new lift struts, new interior and composite parts (adding lightness), recon engine with some more horsepower, new prop, a G3X replacing one existing G5…).

The official plan was to flog the Jodel when the Maule is ready for use. The Mousquetaire is slightly underpowered (like all Jodels) and can never be as capable an airplane as a Maule, but now with a decent prop it hauls itself into the air in about 80 m (at “play” weight).

It is also amateur-built, which confers certain advantages for travel to France. After replacing the ghastly panel (professionally installed with birds-nest wiring and cheap Funke radios) with proper Garmin avionics and a/p, I may, by degrees, dwindle into an “ amateur de Mouss ”. And keep them both.

Reviving this subject, not sure if @Stephan_Schwab got Maule in his farm?

I am looking to find EuroGA pilot who flies a Maule for grass stripping and 600nm touring (ideally M7/M9 with 235/260 IO variants)

@Jacko seems to have gone for the D140 and never back !

Last Edited by Ibra at 04 Jan 15:39
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Maoraigh wrote:

what do you do after landing in a place like that?

When I went flying in the Idaho back country, we’d go hiking after securing the aircraft. Some people go camping.

Andreas IOM

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. If you can afford to keep both, get a small UL (or a Maule, anything STOL) to get you to the Cirrus and/or around Spain and base the Cirrus at LEZL or LEBA, or even LECU if most of your Cirrus trips are towards northern Europe, which I suspect they’ll be. In any case, great plans, keep us posted!

Jacko wrote:

If, for the sake of easy arithmetic, we assume cruising ground speeds of 200 and 120 knots for SR22 and M7 respectively, the Maule will obviously be a bit quicker door-to-door for trips up to about 600 nm, but for longer trips the Cirrus will win (provided that you have no hold-ups on the road to and from your “local” airport).

That is actually one of the attractive parts of the idea. If one can walk up to the aircraft instead of driving to an airport, using the airline for longer distances can be perfectly fine. In my particular case I could hop over to Seville (LEZL, SVQ), which is just a bit over 90 NM direct, and make a connection :-) More attractive than a 2.5 hrs drive.

Of course, the other challenge is to find a suitable aircraft and someone who wants to buy the SR22 for a good price …

Frequent travels around Europe
47 Posts
Sign in to add your message