Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cheap airplanes to buy, own and fly thread

RobertL18C wrote:

the thinking man’s Yak is the Nanchang CJ-6?

It’s certainly the most smiles-per-minute aircraft in my logbook.

Whether I’m a thinking man is uncertain.

EGLM & EGTN

How about this Mooney M201 super 21 1966 for £32k?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOONEY-M20E-super-21-1966-CLASSIC-AIRCRAFT/402478713078
I don’t know much about Mooneys, but that seems cheap to me. Thoughts?

EGBJ and Firs Farm, United Kingdom

That one has popped up in various places on UK social media. Someone I know may be doing a prebuy on it. Someone recalls it having been parked outdoors at Biggin Hill for a long time.

If I was selling something for 30k+ I would have a somewhat better structured description…

NOW COMES WITH NEW ANNUAL AND ARC…. DO NOT PRESS BUY NOW UNLESS YOU WANT!! IT CONTACT 1st MOONEY M20E SUPER 21 FOR SALE ..THE FIRST OF THE FAST MOONEY`S. SMALL AIRFRAME BIG 200hp ENGINE PRODUCING 210hp ON CLIMB OUT WITH RAM AIR ON GIVING AN EXTRA 10hp. A CLASSIC 3 ADULT SEATER OR 2 ADULTS AND 2 KIDS=2+2 AIRCRAFT YEAR IS 1966.. THE FASTEST MOONEY OFF THE GROUND BAR NONE!!, 210 HP LYCOMING IO360 FUEL INJECTED WITH RAM AIR SO NO! CARB ICE ISSUES RECENTLY IMPORTED FROM SPAIN SO NO CORROSION KNOWN THIS AIRCRAFT IS IN REALLY GOOD CLEAN CONDITION 8 OUT OF TEN AIRFRAME. 8 OUT OF TEN INTERIA..ANNUAL AND ARC TIL MID SEP 2021 , WELL EQUIPPED INCLUDING R-NAV. TRIG TY96 8.33 COMM. TOTAL TIME AIR FRAME AND ENGINE 2420.HRS TTSMOH 1220 ODD HRS. NOTE THIS HAS THE MANUAL UNDERCARRIAGE SO ALMOST MAINTENANCE FREE, AIRCRAFT RUNS AND FLY`S WITHOUT FAULT AND NOTHING MATCHES THERE SPEED WHILE SIPPING FUEL AT 8/9 GALLONS PER HOUR WITH 160/170+mph indicated. they can also cruise at 19/19 rpm at 5 gallons per hour showing 120MPH. THESE M20 E`S ARE NOT FAR BEHIND THE SPEED OF THE MOONEY 201 WHICH ONLY DO 180mph NOT 201mph AS THERE MADE OUT TO DO. AND COST HALF THE PRICE!, COMPREHENSIVE MAINTENANCE HISTORY AND ALL PAST LOGBOOKS AND MOONEY MANUALS also note that this mooney is on the CAA sdmp self declared maintenance program WHICH MEANS AN OWNER/ENGINEER CAN SELF DECLARE THE CONDITION OF ENGINE AND PROP AND PARTS ETC AND SIGN THEM OFF AS FIT FOR USE PROVIDING THEY ARE! WITHOUT HAVING TO COMPLY WITH CALENDER TIMES..OR YOU CAN USE YOUR OWN MAINTENANCE PEOPLE AS USUAL IN THE NORMAL MANNER, THE ANNUAL AND ARC HAS TO BE DONE BY A CERTIFIED MAINTENANCE ORGANISATION………..BASED AT NORTH WEALD EGSX MIGHT TAKE A VEHICLE OR WHY IN PART PAYMENT contact me on . 07815642767.

A good prebuy is called for; not a quick and dirty job. There is likely to be a lot of corrosion.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

This vintage Mooney (mid 1960’s) were very well built, and if it did live in a dry part of Spain corrosion may not be an issue?

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

If I was in a position to buy an airplane, I would have called this ad :
https://www.planecheck.com/?ent=da&id=49983
planecheck_F_BLZC_49983_pdf

Cheap 3-4 seater. If the airframe is good, it looks like a great base for a renovation into a very cost efficient family cruiser.
At least it is my opinion.

LFOU, France

@jujupilote agree the type is a lovely design and the ad is quite honest – wood and fabric require good knowledge on keeping the airframe in good shape.

There is probably a subtle difference between the Paris-Nice and the Sicile and hopefully someone comes along to explain how the types are dif.

Peter wrote:

A good prebuy is called for; not a quick and dirty job. There is likely to be a lot of corrosion.

I recall it flew a lot at Biggin but not much at North Weald, if something flies 200h/year outside schools circuits over the last 5 years, I would go eyes closed at that price

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

I recall it flew a lot at Biggin but not much at North Weald, if something flies 200h/year outside schools circuits over the last 5 years, I would go eyes closed at that price

It looks quite nice indeed. Apparently was imported from Spain in 2018 or so, so about 2-3 years in the UK? Needs Mode S, a Trigg transponder in the place of the KT76 which is a plug and play, otherwise not bad equipped even with a HSI. No AP, but that can be rectified at that price. Parked outside, a Vintage Mooney which looks this good can take it.

The E is indeed the best of the vintage Mooneys, it has the 200 hp injected engine, runs a good 150 kts and has the pretty maintenance proof Johnson Bar landing gear.

If I was in the market for a VFR E, I’d go in rather fast to do a PPI and if it is good, take it. At the price, quite a few upgrades could be done if necessary too.

Peter wrote:

There is likely to be a lot of corrosion.

If it has been in Spain until 2018 and then been parked out but flown regularly in the UK, I doubt it. But a good Mooney mechanic who knows where to look can make sure. Mine is now out for 10 years, with covers however, and has no corrosion anywhere last thing my maintenance said, who are looking very carefully at that.

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 20 Oct 18:19
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Mooney_Driver wrote:

It looks quite nice indeed. Apparently was imported from Spain in 2018 or so, so about 2-3 years in the UK?

Yes early 2018 from Spain, EC-JNR was the old reg !
Indeed an E like this one is way good for VFR

Last Edited by Ibra at 20 Oct 18:32
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

The very nice G-ATOU slipped my hands around ten years ago, a sad estate sale and it was well maintained and good value. Mid 1960’s E is a very nice practical tourer, with bullet proof engine and systems. I believe it is still well looked after on the continent.

Sign in to add your message