Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cheap airplanes to buy, own and fly thread

The Pacer is great fun to fly. An original PA20 rather than a PA22/20 would probably have a nicer brake pedal feel, but a slightly narrower undercarriage than the converted nose gear aircraft. Reasonably high skill factor required for crosswinds, but very rewarding when mastered. The say VG’s and dare I say Madras tips make a big improvement.

If you were a kid in Alaska this would be your go-to good value aeroplane.

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

WilliamF wrote:

The Pacer is great fun to fly.

Took a Tri Pacer to Sywell many moons ago. 4 of us in it. Must have way above max gross. 30 minutes airborne, one of us required to go to the loo.Then all of us. Majority outvoted the captain.

Down into a small farm strip, all out, suitably relieved and then back in, a bit lighter….

Great aircraft, and it came up for sale mid 2000’s. I thought it was priced very reasonably.

Whoever bought it should be having a lot of fun..

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

An original non-converted Pacer with aluminum wheel pants (even if those need paint) is a desirable plane if it has an O-320 and not an earlier engine. Note that the engine is considerably over TBO. They are tricky on the ground, so not of interest to those looking for an easy to land plane, but otherwise fly better than the average four seater.

These caught on in Alaska when everything with the word Cub in its name appreciated in value. Ten years or so ago a local friend bought a Tri-Pacer, converted it to conventional gear, and eventually delivered it to Anchorage… which was quite an adventure the way he described it. I flew it a bit then, when I was flying tail wheel exclusively and more proficient. It still took a good bit of familiarity to take-off and land well.

Like all tube and rag Pipers they are inexpensively built, very simple and infinitely rebuildable. Not designed to impress, designed to work.

Nice plane.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 27 Aug 14:53

Brakes and the flap handle are indeed primary flight controls as far as a Pacer goes

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

Just on that Cub aspect I was a bit taken aback by the difference in flight characteristics between the J3 and The PA-18A. Totally different aircraft in many respects..Plenty of time on J3 and PA18A, but not on the Pacers. Would like to try one hopefully…Nice one on AFORS if it is still there.28k

https://www.afors.com/index.php?page=adview&adid=35257&imid=0

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

I was thinking about this for this thread

https://www.planecheck.com/index.asp?ent=da&id=51992&cor=y

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Can people please use this when posting planecheck adverts?

Otherwise these posts are dead very fast.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

(Boeing 767-300 ER) but no price listed. An A380 would be much newer and larger. I hear they are quite cheap (to buy) these days. But owning and flying would cost you a bit and makes both off-topic.

EDQH, Germany

This took me around 10 seconds to get the PDF
planecheck_NOREG_51992_pdf

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

A nice low time N reg Cessna 175 SkyLark is on sale at UKGA.com for £20,000. Stylish four seater in a fastback design like the 172C.

https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/view/1544546

Last Edited by RobertL18C at 02 Oct 20:00
Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message