Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cheap airplanes to buy, own and fly thread

How bizarre would it seem to have an argumentative ‘syndicate’ (complete with titles and meetings!) wrapped around a 20K value motorcycle, versus a 20K value aircraft. In either case, I think its a whole lot better to own the thing outright, no partners, no nonsense. To me that is the reason to have a relatively modest plane, so you can own it and control it yourself, 100%.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 05 Mar 14:54

Maoraigh wrote:

low hours middle age guys

Any money you had to pay to get away from those was a good investment. I knew a few of these, one did a split S in a King Air and hit a goal post at a football match doing a low pass. Older people who take up flying late in life can be a dread to listen to.

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

@Silvaire, now that you mentioned it, a motorcycle syndicate actually seems to be a good idea for those who ride only rarely…

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

The rule of thumb is to avoid anyone in a syndicate who does not fly that much and speaks a lot, they are in the syndicate to just piss eveybody and have an easy go into politics, irrespective of their age ;)

On atitude toward risk, the worst pilots I have seen in my life with poor airmanship happens to be the very old chaps that fly a twin at Elstree (I did not dare to fly like them even when I was 16 years old in military) on a cynical note I knew they have few days to live…

Last Edited by Ibra at 05 Mar 15:11
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I finished with partnerships by age 28, after a couple of messes. Never again. I would rather work twice as hard than be involved in ‘discussions’ and ‘cost sharing’ at every turn. I also avoided marriage for similar reasons until experience and resources in middle age allowed me to select the right partner

My vehicles share me, in partnership with each other.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 05 Mar 15:29

Silvaire wrote:

I finished with partnerships by age 28, after a couple of messes. Never again.

My first one, and last I may add, he turned up with £14, 999.40 in cash, and a cheque for 8k, in an envelope, in a car park, at a motor car auction.

He told me he had deducted the 60 pence for a parking ticket because I was late.

I should have walked.
I should have known.
Now I know, I think….Take care out there

Last Edited by BeechBaby at 05 Mar 17:57
Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

Intentionally left blank

Last Edited by Snoopy at 13 Mar 11:36
always learning
LO__, Austria

I had the opportunity to discover a, to me, totally new type of flying and I was very happily surprised!

Located in the countryside on a leased piece of farmland is a lowkey, improvised nevertheless very sturdy hangar. The entire „airfield“ was set up for approximately the price one pays for a year of hangar space at my homebase (7000-8000€). This includes the improvised hangar, a little „clubhouse“, surface prep etc.. The lease per year is less than a tenth of that. It is all officially approved by the land owner and the authority. The amount of approved movements is sufficient, and there are no problems with any of the few residents.

Simply park car, pull the plane out and take off, brilliant.

The type of plane (Bristell) doesn’t fit the „purchase“ part of this thread, however as it is an experimental it is inexpensive to maintain, while still providing excellent comfort and flight characteristics.

I very much felt like in a Cirrus, with Garmin avionics, autopilot, electric trimm, lnav/vnav and BRS installed.

The performance was impressive, a few liters of car gas and an honest 130+ cruise speed! The Bristell is an impressive and capable plane, and the day out flying was amazing and fun!

Some impressions:

always learning
LO__, Austria

Snoopy wrote:

The type of plane (Bristell) doesn’t fit the „purchase“ part of this thread, however as it is an experimental it is inexpensive to maintain, while still providing excellent comfort and flight characteristics.

Its a nice plane, I’m sure. I like the solid rivets

I’d estimate cost of money of about $400 per month (at $130K purchase price), and depreciation at $360/month, so cost of ownership $760 before storage or maintenance.

Silvaire wrote:

How bizarre would it seem to have an argumentative ‘syndicate’ (complete with titles and meetings!) wrapped around a 20K value motorcycle, versus a 20K value aircraft. In either case, I think its a whole lot better to own the thing outright, no partners, no nonsense. To me that is the reason to have a relatively modest plane, so you can own it and control it yourself, 100%.

I would have thought the difference is obvious.

The motorcycle does not require hangarage or airport parking which runs to hundreds of currency units a month. It also does not require expensive maintenance. It doesn’t drink expensive fuel at 10+ gallons an hour.

It’s not the capital outlay, it’s the ongoing costs.

Not all syndicates are argumentative. I’m in 2 (one new to me, one for the last 7 years) and I have never seen anything so much as even approaching an argument. There are clear rules, once or twice a year something comes up for discussion and if there’s not unanimous agreement then there’s a vote and action is taken. I’ve literally never even heard a cross word.

That said, I’m not in a ‘24 people in a PA28-140’ type syndicate. I can see those might be more problematic, because through sheer numbers you will get factions developing and because of the nature of the group/aircraft there is probably almost zero appetite for spending money.

There are very obvious benefits to outright ownership – that much is obvious. The value you put on those benefits is a personal thing, and probably depends principally on (a) how much flying you do or intend to do, and (b) how much money you have.

EGLM & EGTN
Sign in to add your message