Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cheap airplanes to buy, own and fly thread

always learning
LO__, Austria

This could be a nice no-frills airplane for someone. It will need Mode S and 8.33 but otherwise it looks as a very inexpensive and well kept 172.

With a KT76, a Trigg TT22 will be pin compatible and inexpensive to install and has the possibility of ADSB-Out. I don’t know that Becker radio, but a 8.33 radio is not that expensive either. Would still probably stay below 20k altogether.

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 22 Sep 18:17
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

I notice that there is a nice Grumman Trainer on the market too.

https://www.planecheck.com?ent=da&id=47452
planecheck_D_EMZA_47452_pdf

I happen to know the previous owner of this airplane which was Swiss registered (HB-UBS) until it got sold to Germany. It is a really pampered exemplar of the trainer with a GNS530W and mode S installed, so nothing for quite a while to be done. For someone who wants to just fly around a bit alone or with one other this may be a very nice opportunity.

Other than that, I do notice quite a few Moranes in the <15k segment on planecheck. Malte has writen a wonderful summary on those and also others have commented on them. They may well suit someone who is operating out of short fields and also likes the idea of leisurly air-hiking rather than fast touring.

The 172 is extremely inexpensive, hard to believe unless there is some fundamental problem like oil consumption or (?) with the high time O-300.

The Yankee is already better equipped than 99.99% of them, I wouldn’t bother changing that one and the price is good.

Yes on Morane Saulnier planes, like Colts etc in the US they are cheap due to largely pointless fashion issues.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 22 Sep 22:13

BTW, I think the way people are going to get bargain non-equipped ‘new’ plane purchases into US ADS-B mandatory areas is going to be with an unapproved Uavionix Sky Beacon: stick it on there on the ramp after plane purchase (uncertified), quickly program N-number and other details with phone and wi-fi, fly home. ATC within the veil has no idea whether it’s legally installed with a 337 etc, you’re not talking to them anyway, then once home remove the Sky Beacon for next time and figure out what to do with the ‘new’ plane. That’s where the $3-5K added expense will occur but at least you acted on the purchase in a timely fashion, scored the deal and got the thing home to fiddle with.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 23 Sep 04:58

WilliamF wrote:

The Taylorcraft is just so light, and keen to fly. The Auster is solid and will handle much greater winds

And this is why I have to have an Auster and not a Taylorcraft – it’s just too windy in the Isle of Man! (And the O-320 is quite helpful when towing gliders). But with the O-320 you can get Super Cub performance at about a third of Super Cub purchase price.

Last Edited by alioth at 23 Sep 10:12
Andreas IOM

Man, that 172H is itching me …

LFOU, France

Haha me too

always learning
LO__, Austria

If I wasn’t in the middle of a divorce I think I’d be snapping that 172 up too. What a bargain! (assuming nothing wrong with it)….

Forever learning
EGTB

This looks interesting too for someone who is looking for a nice little sky hiker…

https://www.planecheck.com?ent=da&id=41497
planecheck_OY_ELM_41497_pdf

Cheap and economical. Don’t know much about the make. But could be a fun plane to own.

Sign in to add your message